Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

SANTA CLAUS

I remember the moment vividly!  Our first grade class had walked from Fourth Ward School to the high school auditorium for a special Christmas program. Our class was seated along with our teacher in the balcony.  It was exciting to leave our school and walk along the streets as a class!  It was super exciting to walk into the high school where all the big kids attended school.  The auditorium seats were huge!  The lights were dim to create an atmosphere of anticipation.  Every nerve in my young body was alive!

Before the program began, Santa came out on the stage to give us a "Ho Ho Ho!" greeting.  I was mesmerized!  Who knew that Santa would even be here?

That's when it happened.

A kid behind me apparently saw my enthusiasm.  He leaned forward and delivered a gut punch:  "Do you still believe in Santa Claus?"

Of course I believed in Santa Claus, but I didn't know how to respond to this bigger kid.  Then, he began to ridicule me in front of my classmates.  In short order, he delivered the astute observation that my parents were really Santa.

Innocence lost can't be retrieved.  My bubble had been burst.  I can't be sure, but I think I pretended to believe through that season - for my parent's sake.

Then, Christmas morning came!  'Santa' had delivered well!  My Mom and Dad and sister, Beverly, and I opened our presents with characteristic joy! Empty boxes and wrapping paper piled high in the middle of our living room.

Then, around 11:00 AM, the door bell rang.  Who could possibly be at the door?  It was an unwanted intrusion!  I was delegated to go to the front door and see who was there.  I climbed through the clutter and swung the front door open.

Silence!  I was awestruck!  There stood Santa Claus - beaming at me through the storm door.  My Dad shook me to reality by telling me to open the door. When I did, Santa stepped in and immediately asked me how I liked my gifts. I was stupified!  I told him it was a great Christmas and I loved everything. He told me that he was VERY tired and had to get back to the North Pole, but he just wanted to check on me first!

That did it!  Little did that stupid kid behind me in the auditorium know.  I was a believer!


PS  -  I learned later that this visit had been arranged by my brother-in-law, Lib , my sister, Jeannette's husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment