Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2017

I'm Leaving My Wife!

I know - it's shocking!  I'm sure that some of you are terribly disappointed; but I'm unbelievably excited!

This is something I've been looking forward to for many years!  I'm finally going to do it!

One year from now, I expect to leave for Georgia and put my feet on the Appalachian Trail!  Woo Hoo!  I can hardly wait!

This dream formed in my mind when I was 20 years old and first heard about a hiking trail that extended from Georgia to Maine!  Hardly a day has gone by that I haven't thought about it.  And now, it's finally on the calendar!  (Giggle, giggle, giggle!!!!)

I've been gearing up for years with the help of family and friends.  This summer/fall I'll be doing several 'shake-down' hikes to check equipment and supplies.  I still have a few important pieces of equipment to buy, but most of it is in hand.

I expect to hit the trail in early March and hike north with the spring.  I'll travel through parts of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine!  It's about 2,200 miles.

To be honest, I'm not sure I can do it.  Many drop out for a range of reasons: boredom, finances, time and injury.  By beginning early in the season, I won't have to feel rushed and can pace myself comfortably.  I'll give it my honest, best try!  If I make it - GREAT!  If I don't, hopefully I'll have fun while I'm out there and come back with a bunch of good stories and new friends.

Meanwhile, Deb will remain my wife and will pick up the added responsibility of sending me supplies.  I invited her to go, but she passed.  :-)

I'll be recording some of my experiences right here in this blog - so, if you want to travel along digitally, you can.

Very excited - can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm extremely happy for you, especially since it's been on your mind since you've been a young man. Please be careful, especially of all the critters - little and big (don't forget bug spray and bear spray).
    I have to admit I'm a little jealous, but I won't be when I'm sleeping in my comfortable bed at night.
    Mike and I lived right off the Appalachian Trail(by Hawk Mountain)for five years, but never hiked. Mike has bad hips and back which keeps him from walking for long periods of time. I would walk the railroad tracks along the Little Schuylkill River with our dog Bear (who passed away last year).
    I guess Debbie will be responsible for Gabe for a while too. I hope he knows you when you return (ha,ha).
    I hope you have a fantastic time - I'm sure you will. You will definitely meet some interesting people - I'm sure God will give you some opportunities to talk about the grace of God!
    What a wonderful way to get closer to God - experience His magnificent creation!!!
    We will definitely keep you in our prayers for a safe trip!!!

    ReplyDelete