Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2017

Travel Journal 5

February 5, 2013  -  Tuesday
Breakfast was pan-toasted toast;  R had purchased peanut butter and jelly for us.  It was good.  Finished off with some boiled fermented rice. 

After clean-up, we all headed out to a market nearby that reminded me of the Roger’s Sale!  It was a huge market with venders selling clothing, vegetables, fruit, meat, dofu, and prepared foods.  It was a massive area, partly under roof and partly out in the open.  It was very crowded.  Shopping this week in China is like shopping on the night before Thanksgiving Day in America.  People are supplying up because most stores will be closed for a week to allow workers to travel and celebrate the Spring Festival!

We came home and had a wonderful lunch:  rice, a pork and pepper dish, broccoli, and a zucchini-ginger-onion-garlic dish!  It was all wonderful. 

After a brief rest, Jessica and R took Deb shopping and I tagged along.  I’m so glad I did!  It was fun.  We walked about a mile away to a large, large store.  Along the way, we stopped in a number of small clothing stores.  At one point, we entered a doorway that opened to a huge department store of many private vendors.  Deb stopped repeatedly to look at new coats.  I would find a place to stand as out-of-the-way as I could.  Invariably, I would become a focus of attention as people would stop and stare at me.  Some would wave and say, “Hallo!”  A few younger people tried out their English on me;  several asked if they could take their picture with me;  once this starts, it’s hard to get it stopped!  Hahaha

Deb also stopped and bought an apron and some gifts for friends at home.  Then we walked on and crossed a huge public area that was already being decorated for the Chinese New Year!  On the far side we descended some long steps and entered another massive shopping area that was under the public area!  After finding a locker to stash our backpack and bags, we entered a huge store that would compare to a WalMart.  It was jammed with people!  We picked up food and supplies – including Oreos and Coke – and then headed for checkout.  On the way, I found a 20 ounce bag of Lays potato chips!  That’s the largest bag I’ve seen in China – so, of course, I bought it!  J  I miss my popcorn on this trip, so it’ll give me a salty option!

While we were out both times today, I was reminded just how many motorcycles there are over here!  It’s mind-boggling!  Everywhere you look, you see them!  I’ve seen families of four on them many times.  I frequently see three people riding one.  Girls are adept at riding them side-saddle!  You rarely see helmets! 
                                      (Left pic) This line goes on forever in both directions!                         
(Right pic)  A different spot where they go on forever!

We got home and Randy, Hannah, and I watched the movie Babe.  Then supper was served:  a large, vegetable wrap that had been steamed before serving.  It included onions, Chinese chives, dofu, cucumbers and other assorted goodies.  I broke out some Oreos for dessert!  J 

Hannah headed off to bed.  Deb is reading.  I’m journaling.  We played some cards.  Then, at 8:00 PM, R announced that the building would have hot water for two hours.  We didn’t realize it before, but there is an open shower in the bathroom, so we all took quick showers!  Then I watched two Monk episodes with Randy and Jessica.  Heading to bed now – 11:00 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment