Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2017

Travel Journal 6

 February 7, 2013  -  Thursday

It was a fasting day for me.  I took a loooong prayer-walk down the other side of the river and back on this side!  The other side of the river has a much wider park area that goes on-and-on.  It was very enjoyable and spring-like with sunshine.  I got back after noon.  When lunch was over we left for another long walk, then caught a bus that took us to a large, long bridge that crosses the Yellow River into the next province.  

We walked across the bridge and then down under the opposite side to put our hands in the river.   Then after crossing the bridge again, the group had lunch in a noodle shop.  We caught a bus back to town and then went through the market again before another long walk home. 

We played some cards in the evening and then R’s son (Samson) and his wife (Evalene) arrived with their one-and-a-half-year-old, Peter Pan (Pan is the family name - yes, they were aware of the humor!). [Samson, Evalene and Peter are, of course, adopted English names]  After meeting them, we headed off to bed.

I rose early on Thursday and then had to stay in our room since R and her husband are now sleeping in the living room.  Eventually I came out and joined Hannah to read.  Soon, breakfast was served;  Deb, Randy, Jessica and I ate at the coffee table.  We had a rice dish, a plate of cucumbers, celery, carrots, and beans in a vinegar and sesame oil mix;  also some sections of corn and steamed bread.  It was a wonderful breakfast – topped off with some eyeball fruit, a banana, and a few Oreos.  J

I went to our room to check email and catch up on this journal.  I discovered that Ray Diddle had died, so sent a note of condolences to Jeff.  I had also sent sympathies to Rick and Joan regarding the death of Martha Anderson;  and Janice Kelly regarding the death of Margie Mitchell;  and Bob Cowsert regarding the death of Louise Cowsert.  Jennifer Barrett led me to believe that my note may have been shared at Martha’s funeral.  It’s especially hard to be so far away when so many of our family and friends are suffering these losses! 

Debbie and I had thought that we would move to a hotel when R’s son and family arrived.  However, Jessica implored us to continue to stay, explaining that it would be more awkward if we left and then returned just for meals.  I consider this another lesson and an opportunity to learn.  Living in a Chinese home for two weeks is most interesting.  We’re getting a feel for the way they eat and interact.  R and her husband have been gracious hosts and will hardly let us do anything.  We find ways to help:
o   I insisted on paying for groceries the other day.
o   Debbie is making donuts today (using lard – no shortening available in this city).
o   We sweep the floor from time to time.
o   I provide Oreos for everyone at least twice-a-day!

But essentially we are experiencing unmerited grace!  R insists that we are family!  We are accepted as an aunt and uncle would be.  Although our privacy is compromised during this time, we are becoming increasingly comfortable with the arrangements.  I have recorded the food we eat for educational purposes and also so that I can refer back and try to make some of these dishes in the future! 

Deb made her donuts;  38 donuts and holes were gone by 6:00 PM!  I think they liked them!


Deuteronomy 3:26 (ESV)
[Moses speaking]  But the LORD was angry with me because of you and would not listen to me.  And the LORD said to me, “Enough from you;  do not speak to Me of this matter again…”

I remember being young and having my father say to me, “That’s enough!”  I knew better than to push any farther!  He had reached his limit with me and this warning meant it was time for me to back off! 

It may be surprising to us to learn that there are times when God deals with us in the same way.  Notice that God stopped listening to Moses’ prayers!  Hmmm.  Are there times when God also stops listening to my prayers.  Moses had persistently asked for something that God had clearly denied;  Moses wanted to go into the Promised Land.  But God had already ruled on that and the answer was “No!”.  So, Moses kept asking, but God stopped listening.

Then, in His grace, God spoke to Moses and essentially said, “Quit wasting your breath!  I said no and I meant no!  You are not going to set foot in the new land!  Don’t bring it up again!”

Sounds harsh, huh?

Yet in the next verse God instructs Moses to go to the top of Mount Pisgah and gaze on the beauty of the Promised Land!  Moses is permitted to view what he cannot inherit!  The grace of God is always a source of comfort to those who yield to His will and His way!


Yesterday while we were walking we saw forsythia beginning to bloom.  We wore light jackets.  Now, it’s snowing!  Typical of late winter/early spring in central China.  

No comments:

Post a Comment