Search This Blog

Sunday, October 1, 2017

I WENT TO CHURCH THIS MORNING

For this week, we are living on a mountaintop near Banner Elk, North Carolina.  Being Sunday, I searched for a church to attend.  I chose a United Methodist Church in Banner Elk.

My GPS took me to a deserted lane on the campus of Lees McRae College. After doing some narrow backing up, I proceeded through the tight campus and discovered a Presbyterian Church.  After parking, while walking toward the church, I found the United Methodist Church.

It's web-page announced a worship at 9:30 AM.  The outdoor sign proclaimed a "Contemporary Service" at 9:40 AM.  It was 9:29 AM and there were no cars in the lot.

I slipped in a door marked "Entrance" and worked my way slowly up some steep stairs.  At the top, I peeked into a small fellowship room and was noticed by the pastor.  I asked if there was a worship service at 9:30 AM?  He said, "Yes, although it might be just you and me."

I went into the sanctuary and seated myself about halfway while he changed the hymn numbers on the board at the front and prepared the Communion Table.

Shortly after, another couple (also visitors) entered a different door straight into the sanctuary.  At 9:40, one parishioner also entered.

The pastor brought a stool back to where we were seated and began the very informal service by talking about his tenure at this church.  He arrived several years earlier to a congregation of five members.  He has seen some moderate growth since.  The roster at the front of the church indicated an attendance last Sunday of 40 and an offering of $166.21.

He then asked for prayer concerns and prayed for us.  He spoke of the different views of sacraments between Catholicism and Methodism.  He was very soft spoken and I had great difficulty hearing him.  He talked about Christ's last evening with His disciples and explained the Lord's Supper to us. Then he invited us to join him at the front of the chapel and he served us Communion.  He pronounced a blessing over us and the service ended.

As I wound my way to the back and started down the stairs, I yielded to about five elderly women who were arriving for the 11:00 AM worship service.

As I walked to my car, I felt guilty when I saw the sign that said the lot was strictly limited to use by people attending the Presbyterian Church!  A few cars were pulling in as I left - obviously to attend the 11:00 AM service.

You can imagine my thoughts as I drove back to our mountaintop retreat.

Sadness.  Overwhelming sorrow at a pair of churches located at the center of a college campus that are both propping up traditional forms of worship but failing to connect with people - especially young people!

I wept as I drove.

Although I've attended several churches over recent weeks, I've been disappointed at the simple head-nod that's been given to the horrendous grief thrust upon people who live in Houston, Florida, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Mexico.

I remember the massive spike in church attendance immediately following the attack on the twin towers in New York City in 2001.  It lasted one Sunday, largely because these inquirers didn't find relevance when they entered the doors.

I'm no longer leading a church, but that doesn't mean that I've dis-invested from it.  I love the church;  always have - always will!  But, like so many others, I long for it to be relevant and caring.  Exclusivity has no place in these walls! I pray for fresh winds of the Spirit to blow through our churches and our lives.  I pray for my own personal renewal.  

So many churches that I've been part of have been difference-making churches!  While serving at New Middletown, I kept a poster on my office door of people who had led someone to Christ.  Before I left, I had to add more space to the bottom of the page!  :-)

During my years on staff at the Cornerstone Church in Akron, the weekly staff meeting was so exciting!  Nearly EVERY WEEK there were reports of people surrendering their lives to Christ!  By God's grace, we were catching people from the dregs of life and putting their feet on a purpose-full path!

God,
Help us to clearly and accurately reflect Your love and mercy to the people You bring us into contact with every day!  Renew us through Your gracious forgiveness and enable us with charm and power as we seek to be Your Church to a lost and hurting world!
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment