Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2018

AT - WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU?

I have a good friend who frequently asks me this question.  He is a knowledgeable and generous man who has helped me with quite a few projects over the years.  He moved to South Carolina a year or two ago and I really miss him.  His modeling of generosity of time and talents has inspired me. 

Like everyone, I struggle with being self-centered and selfish.  I admire people who are self-giving, but often struggle and fail to get there myself.  I am fully aware of what a selfish thing it is to take off for six months and hike the Appalachian Trail.  I have struggled over that.  Of late, I've been praying about it.

However, in a recent conversation with my sister, Beverly, I received a confirming word from God.  She is one of the first people I turn to for prayer - because I KNOW she prays and I know she loves me!  :-)  I wish I could quote her exactly, but I'll just have to do the best I can based on a faulty memory.  She assured me that she would be praying for me on this journey.  She reported that she had struggled with 'how' to pray for me.  Then she had come to the conclusion that she should pray that God would thoroughly renew me spiritually and bring me home a totally new man in Christ! 

That resounded in my spirit!  That's what I want!  That's what I need!  That's what I long for.  There have been so many major changes in my life since 2012.  To some extent, I've been floundering.  But somehow, through the word from my precious sister - I have a new-found hope! 

Now, a personal word:
I have been backpacking before and I know that it's a solitary experience.  One of the many reasons I love it is because it reveals my utter dependence on God!  I need Him for:

  • strength
  • companionship
  • courage
  • wisdom
  • and to help me overcome fear.
When I'm on-the-trail, it is an ongoing (often out-loud) dialogue with God.  I sing and talk with Him and praise Him!  I enjoy His presence and deepen my relationship with Him.  

So, I'd like to make an offer to you today.  I'm entering what could be a six-month school of prayer.  If you'd like to put something on my prayer list, I'd love to covenant with you about your need or concern.  I will only share your concern with God!  I will print (and laminate) a list of all concerns I receive along with your names.  I will periodically pull it out while I'm hiking and bring your needs before our loving and powerful God. 

If you would like me to be praying for your concern, simply share it with me via:
  • email:  halinasia@psmail.net
  • text:  (724) 944-3881, or
  • Facebook - Private Message
Keep in mind that I leave March 9th, so you'll need to respond quickly!  Meanwhile, God bless you!


No comments:

Post a Comment