Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

AT - UPDATE #1

Well, I've been out since March 9th and I'm still at it!  PTL!

I'm currently in Hiawassi, GA.  I was here on Sunday and attended a wonderful Baptist Church.  Now I'm back because of the nor-easter that is tormenting all backpackers.  I didn't plan this stop, but it was necessary.  Last night was SO COLD!  Whew!  I couldn't feel my fingers! 

I'm on a public computer, so this will not be refined.  I can't tie it up too long.  I know that miles is a big issue to family and friends, but it's really not to me.  There are no mile-markers on the AT.  You use the trail guide and maps and apps to locate yourself.  Anytime I do report my mileage, I will add the 'Approach Trail' 9 miles because it was about the hardest section I've done so far.  Although Blood Mountain was also a major challenge.

The hiking is hard!  So many mountains that never seem to end!  You reach what you think is the summit only to discover that the trail turns and heads up more.  This happens over and over and over again! 

But, my legs and lungs are getting stronger - I can feel it.  They say you get your 'trail legs' by Tennessee - we'll see.  But I am doing better.  After climbing the 1,000 steps to the top of Amicalola Falls, I was seriously questioning my decision to do this! 

About 80% of the hikers are in their 20's/30's.  They are friendly to me and I enjoy the camaraderie with all the hikers.  Most are friendly.  When they pass me on the trail, almost always they will ask if I'm ok.  It renews my confidence in the younger generation.  There are a few guys older than me and a few my age.  I've also tracked with a few in their 50's. 

Some say that many of the younger ones are 'spring-breakers' who will leave and then return to the trail at the end of the semester.  Could be.  Thru-hikers quickly recognize one another and enjoy a special connection. 

There are lots of encouragers on the AT.  If they sense you're down, they'll try their best to cheer you up and keep you going.  Just this morning I was told:  "Hal, never quit on a rainy or snowy day!"  :-)  If it wasn't for these encouragers and my family and friends, I might have quit that first week. 

I've seen friends drop off because of knee problems - lots of those!  Several struggled with back issues and had to leave the trail.  A 'ridge runner'* told us that he came across a man several miles in who had hit the first hard climb.  He had his pack off sitting in the middle of the trail and he was standing there staring at it!  I can appreciate that vignette! 

So far, every day has been utterly exhausting!  You reach your campsite or shelter area and just collapse.  You still have to set up camp and prepare your meal, but you wonder how you'll ever get it done.  Sometimes you have tio hang a 'bear bag' which can be challenging.  A benefit of staying at shelter areas is that they almost always provide wires to hang your food from - VERY HELPFUL.  They're now adding 'bear-proof boxes at some areas which is even nicer (easier). 

Everyone is in bed at 8 PM.  You rise with the sun, prepare your breakfast, break camp, pack up and hit the trail.  At first, I was slow, but I'm often on the trail before 8:30 AM now. 

I have no physical problems - thank You, Lord!  I'm truly grateful for this!  Especially when I see so many others struggling. 

I'm learning so much!  Much by making mistakes.  More by watching others.  There have been some spectacular views;  I've much appreciated them.  I've slept on shelter floors more than I expected - mostly because of the bad weather. 

I'll soon be leaving Georgia and entering North Carolina.  That'll feel good! 

I miss Debbie more than I expected.  But she's been my #1 prayer partner along with the rest of my family (and many of you) - THANKS!   When you pray for me - please also lift a prayer for the children of ICCM!  Their needs far exceed mine and we want our gracious God to watch over and provide for them! 
\
Sorry for the scattered thoughts, but I'm trying to get as much in as I can quickly. 

I've had signal more than I thought I would, but I still have to be careful for my battery supply.  If you have specific questions, put them on the FB feed that sent you here and I'll try to answer.  I'll be on wifi the rest of today (Wednesday). 

BLESSINGS on you all on this first day of spring.   Ha ha ha ha....

*  A ridge runner is someone who works for the AT Conservancy and hikes the trail and checks the shelter and camping areas for problems of any kind.  They're VERY HELPFUL people! 

2 comments: