Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

AT - UPDATE #2 HOLDING PATTERN

I made some unwise decisions that took me off the trail at the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) in North Carolina (mile 136).  I wanted to be in a town to celebrate Easter, so I pushed hard for nine days doing 9-13 miles/day.  At the end of my sixth day, I noticed a soreness in my right hip;  however, I was still 25 miles from the NOC.  I did 10 miles the next day and, of course, my hip became even more sore.  The next day, I did 9 miles and limped into the camping area still 6 miles from the NOC.  By the time I reached the NOC, I couldn't put any weight on my right leg.

I stayed overnight in a cabin with two trail friends who moved on up the trail the next morning.  I hitch-hiked to Bryson City, NC and got a room at a Sleep Inn for the next three nights.  I sat and watched TV until my sitter was sore!  I did limp to a United Methodist Church to worship.  Monday morning, I got an Uber ride to a car rental dealer.  Not having a major credit card prevented me from renting a car.  :-(  They felt bad and offered me a ride to another hotel about two miles away where I spent the day trying to arrange a way home.

Eventually, a lady took me to the Asheville airport and I flew (via Charlotte) to Pittsburgh, arriving after midnight.  I have been resting at home since then.  On Friday of that week I went to see my doctor who gave me a shot in my right hip bursa.  I am feeling some better, but am clearly not fully recovered.  I intend to wait until I feel full strength before returning to the trail.

I am nearly through North Carolina and within two days of entering the Smokey Mountain National Forest. This is an area that I am much excited to hike through.  I am probably within a week of reaching Clingman's Dome - a place where I once hiked a small section of the AT dreaming of the day when I would hike there.

I have been resting at home since arriving here very early last Tuesday (4/3).  I expected immediate results from the shot I received, but I'm still having days of discomfort.  So, I continue to rest my leg with hopes that I will see a full recovery and be able to return to the trail.

Thank you for your prayer support for me and for the kids of ICCM!  As I mentioned earlier, the trail was hard and I have been put to the test physically, but it was exciting to be on the trail meeting people and experiencing the rugged wilderness of northern Georgia and also North Carolina.  I had several former thru-hikers tell me that I am past the worst - that was encouraging...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your update, Hal. Have been wondering how you are. Hopefully you’ll be able to recover and get back on the trail soon. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete