Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2020

WORSHIP IS A VERB

 I was raised in a church where worship was rich and meaningful.  It was a large church for the time (1960's).  I remember the Easter Sunday that we had 614 out, largely a result of the 'bussing' ministry.  Morrison Baker was the song leader and he was always assisted by capable people at the organ and piano.  He loved the Lord and knew how to help people transition from the cares of this world to the wonder of our faith!  

Then came the educational phase of my life.  While studying Religion/Philosophy at Roberts Wesleyan College (North Chili, NY), I attended the 1,500 member campus church, Pearce Memorial, where the sanctuary choir lifted us each Sunday and excellent messages challenged us to be our best for Christ.  

Next, I married and we moved to Wilmore, Kentucky, where I attended classes for three years at Asbury Theological Seminary.  We attended the Wilmore Free Methodist Church, where future bishop, Clyde Van Valin was our pastor.  Sundays and Wednesdays were filled with meaning, excellent teaching and vibrant worship!  

Finally, I was somewhat prepared to enter the ministry.  My first two churches were small:  Tunnel Hill FMC in English, Indiana, and the Jeannette, PA, FMC.  But, I rolled up my sleeves and worked hard to provide meaningful worship experiences that enriched people's lives and cultivated a deepening of their faith!  

My skill at forming public worship grew during those days as I experimented and gained confidence.  

By the time I arrived at the Oakland FMC in East Liverpool, I was coming into my stride as a former and leader of worship.  I realize - as I look back - that I was developing goals for the worship experience.  Although they were never written down, nevertheless, they became a guide for my planning and execution of worship leadership.  The following might characterize my approach:

  • INVOLVEMENT of lay people in the leadership of worship:  reading scripture, leading singing, giving prayers, participating in Holy Communion, drama, testimonies, etc., etc..
  • ENGAGEMENT!  This was key to my understanding of worship.  "It's a sin for worship to be boring!"  The people were to be viewed as participants - not spectators!  My Youth Pastor - Raeanne Thompson - and I planned worship at Oakland around David's confession, "I was glad when they said to me, 'Let us go to the House of the Lord.'"  
  • CHANGE rather than predictability.  I remember printing the bulletin one Sunday at Oakland with only one statement in it:  "God loves you!"   I was soundly reprimanded by some for that wasteful use of paper!  :-)  But it was a sample of how strongly I felt that worship should have an unpredictable nature to it!
  • CREATIVITY should be maximized in worship!  Exhibiting creativity through music, drama, skits, humor, the arts, and story-telling were beginning points.  Utilizing the resources of the people made this a deep pool to draw from!
  • MEANINGFUL IMPACT!  This captivated my planning throughout the week!  The hope was to make a difference in people's minds and hearts EVERY SUNDAY!  Eventually, I established a pattern of retreats for planning and preparing my preaching by going to a retreat house for about five days every spring and fall.  Holy Communion became especially important to me as I carefully and prayerfully planned for these times of worship!  
With the capable help of volunteer and paid leaders, we formed worship that energized people's faith - and the churches grew!  Thanks be to God!  Lives were transformed!  

I am often appalled at the predictability of worship in churches today.  When worshipping with my grandson two years ago, he leaned over and said:  "Poppy, there'll be four songs, announcements, prayer and the offering;  and then the message."  He nailed it!  

A WORD ABOUT COVID-19
Something has to be said for pastors and leaders who are trying to deal with the complications brought on by this pandemic.  EVERYTHING is being affected by this virus. Our ability to meet and plan is shrouded with fear.  Some churches have literally been prohibited from singing - a strong component of worshipping the Lord!  Attendances are down.  Some are still feeling the need to provide worship via the internet only.  Churches that have been doing so for years have a distinct advantage over those who have been forced to explore online worship suddenly and quickly.  Those who have adapted well may have multiple cameras and people capable of operating them properly.  Others are still using a single, stationary camera that induces an unfortunately boring effect.  I say KUDOS to all pastors who are navigating these waters as best they can to keep the church alive.  

A FINAL WORD
Fortunately, our private worship is ours to engage in and develop!  The Gaither Vocal Band [on youtube] leads me in worship frequently every week.  Yesterday, Christine Dente's rendition of "Prepare A Place" set my heart in pace with the Advent Season.  My daily walk around Herron Woods is often a prayer walk.  The quiet of my study becomes a sanctuary as I read and study God's Word and write these blogs.  

Create your space.  Sanctify your holy place.  

Susannah Wesley had nineteen children.  She taught them that when she pulled her apron over her head, to leave her alone for she was worshipping God!  There's always a way!  Find it!  

Prepare for public worship!  Make your heart ready for the merging of your worship with the worship of all those you will be participating with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment