Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2022

THE BEST DEVOTIONAL BOOK

I purposely left one book off my list yesterday. Its title: SECRETS of the SECRET PLACE: “Keys to Igniting Your Personal Time with God”! Its author: Bob Sorge. He was a pastor for thirteen years, has authored twenty books, and currently travels domestically and abroad bringing a message of hope to the body of Christ.

A serious injury twenty years ago has left him with not much more than a whisper, but he still uses that whisper to encourage and instruct those who will listen. He is sometimes referred to as “the speaker who can’t talk.”

I can’t recall now how I came into possession of this book.

In my opinion, it is the best book on developing a personal time with God that you will find! I have read it many times, and every time I read it, I mark something new! It was the primary source for my devotions during our three years in China, where I read and absorbed it over and over!

Upon returning home, I contacted Bob and asked if I could buy the book in bulk in order to give it away to friends and family upon our return to the U.S. He was kind enough to give me a discounted price and I purchased four cases and gave them all away!

On the back of the book he writes:
“I have written this book with a passion to empower and inspire your secret relationship with God. I am taking the risk of sharing some of the most intimate and cherished truths the Lord has given me. My prayer, as you read this book, is that you get a glimpse of the living relationship God has purposed to have with us. What Jesus had with His Father when He walked this earth is available to you!”

PERSONAL TESTIMONY:
Since retiring, I have struggled. Finding a church to attend was hard. After being so integral to everything that happened in churches I led for nearly forty years, I felt lost. As a result, I sort of lost my sense of purpose.

I thought I rediscovered it in writing Christian novels – which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, the fun of writing was eclipsed by the pain of editing and publishing. Add to that the fact that no one knows Hal Haire, and you have a VERY LIMITED audience!

If you follow me on Facebook, you may remember that I recently wrote about an extended period of depression. All this was a result of the disarray in my life. In summary, It's been a challenging time for me.

My spiritual recovery began with a simple decision: put God first!
Instead of getting up and heading out during prime hours to drive for Lyft, I decided I would return to my early morning discipline of spending time with God! I began falling in love with His Word again! I found my voice and my pulpit became Facebook.

Then, about two weeks ago, I was reaching to my Bible shelf for a book and my eyes fell on SECRETS OF THE SECRET PLACE. I pulled it off and read the first chapter (which I used in a post soon after).

Since then I’ve been reading a chapter-a-day and am once again finding myself looking forward to the next day!

The day I die, I expect you’ll find at least two books on my desk: the Bible and SECRETS. That’s how valuable I consider this book to be!

If interested, a Legacy (paperback) copy is available at Bob’s website for $15.
https://oasishouse.com/collections/bobs-books 


No comments:

Post a Comment