Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

BEING ANGRY WITH GOD!

Job is a complicated book with lengthy dialogues/speeches by Job and his friends.  His friends are all convinced that Job has sinned; they have no other paradigm by which to see the horrific things that have occurred in Job's life!  However, Job maintains his innocence throughout although he does slip into the language of sarcasm repeatedly.  All these men are confounded by the loss of Job's children and property!  It doesn't seem to make sense.

After all three friends have given their thoughts to Job, he responds with a six chapter diatribe.  His opening argument is persuasive:

Job: By God—who lives and has deprived me of justice,
        the Highest One who has also embittered my soul—
    I make this proclamation:
        that, while there is life in me,
    While the breath of that selfsame God is in my nostrils,
    My lips will not let lies escape them,
        and my tongue will not form deceit.
    So I will never concede that you three are right.
        Until the day I die, I will not abandon my integrity just to appease you.
    On the contrary, I’ll assert my innocence and never let it go;
        my heart will not mock my past or my future.   

[Job 27:1-6 All quotes from The Voice Bible unless otherwise noted]

We know that Job is a good man for he is so described in chapter 1, verse 1.

He was a very good man—his character spotless, his integrity unquestioned. In fact, he so believed in God that he sought to honor Him in all things. He deliberately avoided evil in all of his affairs.

That being noted, Job clearly states his opinion and belief that God had deprived him of justice and has been the cause of deep bitterness in his soul.  It's important to remind ourselves that Job has suffered unbearable losses!  

And yet - he does not curse God!  His trust of God and knowledge of God is so embedded that he will NOT stop honoring God!  He determines that  - in spite of his pain and tragedy - he will maintain his righteousness and continue to assert his innocence!

Surely you notice how different this response is than most of us would exhibit.  Most of us have known people [or have done it ourselves] who:

  • deny the existence of a loving God
  • reject the church and disassociate from it
  • curse God
  • live evil lives flagrantly
  • become embittered by their anger toward God
But not Job!  He's as confused and disappointed as any of us have ever been!  Yet, he stands before his accusing friends and maintains his innocence while recommitting himself to living a righteous and godly life!  

When you consider the end of this book, when God restores all that Job had lost in chapters one and two, it is a compelling example and encouragement for us not to react against God in anger and bitterness, but to trust Him supremely and resolutely determine to follow Him and trust Him in spite of our pain and dissatisfaction!  
____________________________
  
Ever loving, always faithful, totally just and gracious God,

We sometimes feel that we're being treated unjustly because our perspective is limited and our pain and disappointment are great.  Help us to keep our balance in these crisis times and take the deliberate stance of Job:
"Look, He may well kill me, but I will hope in Him.  Still I will be ready to argue my case before His very face." [13:15]

Amen.

______________________________

CLOSING THOUGHT:

I made an observation during our three years in China.  The Chinese are slow and deliberate about considering the decision to accept Christ and serve God!  They do not rush into this relationship without deep consideration and an extended period of thought.

However, when they do make this commitment, they make it resolutely!  They will NOT turn back!  The decision has been made!  They will hold to it - regardless of the cost!  This garnered my deepest respect.

May it be so for us as well!

It reminds me of a chorus we used to sing years ago:

I am determined, I've made up my mind:

I'll serve the Lord! 

I'll follow wherever He leadeth,

I'll pasture wherever He feedeth!

I am determined, I've made up my mind:

I'll serve the Lord!


No comments:

Post a Comment