Search This Blog

Sunday, February 18, 2024

THE BATTLE RESUMES

For the better part of forty years, I dealt with the realization of spiritual oppression.  Any pastor who is serious about his/her work knows what I'm talking about.  Because we are the point person for the church, we make ourselves a target for the enemy of our souls!  We proclaim the Word in worship.  We recruit, train and deploy workers into the harvest.  We challenge people firmly and consistently to live their lives to make a difference in our world.  Satan doesn't like this!  He opposes us through any means that will distract, discourage or discredit us!  

You've read the stories of pastors who erred morally.  Others - in far greater numbers - simply quit because of the stress and pressure.  There are many reasons why pastors find other, less stressful ways to make a living!  Few recognize the directness of Satan's opposition.  It can be - at times - intense.  And note this fact:  the more fruitful and effective the ministry is - the more it will garner Satan's attention!  

I retired in 2016.  I noticed right away the almost complete release from this spiritual opposition!  My retirement had taken me out of that integral role of direct influence.  I was less of a threat to the enemy of our souls!

Then, just a few weeks ago, I was invited to accept a part-time, temporary role leading a church.  I attended there last Sunday and met some of the people.  I sat down Monday with about nine of the church's leaders.  Wednesday was my first official day in this new position as 'Interim Pastor'.  

My mind is percolating with thoughts and ideas as this new reality is thrust upon me.  My prayer time has become even more an expression of my dependence on God for wisdom, discernment, and intimacy with Him!  I intuitively knew what my first message would be - and I'm ready to deliver it this morning!  There's an excitement in my spirit as I resume a role that I thought was only in the past.

Yesterday [Saturday] was an easy day.  I enjoyed my morning time with the Lord and His Word.  I shoveled snow.  I ran to Boardman to pick up a few things.  I had no major issues on my agenda.

When I arrived back home, I began to feel low.  Deb noticed it and questioned me.  She made a few suggestions on how I might shake it off and enjoy the rest of the day.  

I've been down this road before.  I slipped back to my study and tried to read.  I couldn't stay focused.  Then, slowly, it began to dawn on me.  The next morning I would be speaking to the Foundery people about renewing THE MISSION!  I would be influencing people to be more intentional, more vibrant, more focused on seeking and saving the lost!

My sly enemy was using one of his most effective instruments on me - depression.  If he could undermine my confidence and excitement, perhaps he could drain my energy and passion?  But a few moments of spiritual discernment gave me the spiritual insight to dispel his attacks and renew my zeal for my new role.  

The battle is over, but the war continues.  We must be vigilant!  We must be on guard!  We must be deliberate in staying connected to Christ!  

By the way, this is one of the main reasons why it is ESSENTIAL that you pray for your pastor!  S/he is likely experiencing spiritual oppression at a level that exceeds normal!  Their leadership role puts them front and center in Satan's sights!  Intercede for them regularly.  Hold up their hands in the same way that Joshua and Caleb held up Moses' hands!  

Peter makes this perfectly clear to us in I Peter 5:8 [NKJV]

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 

And you can be fairly certain that your pastor is one of his targets!

No comments:

Post a Comment