Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

WHAT WILL OUR HEAVENLY BODY BE LIKE?

 I've just taken three mornings to read through I Corinthians 15 in The Message Bible.  

A word about The Message Bible:  I know some don't like it.  I understand that.  As a pastor, I have some opinions about it - some favorable, others less so.  

This paraphrase by Eugene Peterson - who, by the way, was a teacher of Greek and Hebrew - is in the language of the 1990's.  It's common and earthy. 

Two things it has done that I appreciate:

1.  It has gotten people to read the Bible!

2.  It has helped us to understand difficult passages.

If, however, your intent is to study the Bible, then use a more trusted version like the New American Standard Version. 

I placed a post on Facebook yesterday about Isaiah 35 where the prophet speculates [under the inspiration of God] about Heaven.  My nephew and I have had a few back-and-forths about that post while I've been reading Paul's clarification about our heavenly bodies in I Corinthians 15.  

Some skeptic is sure to ask, “Show me how resurrection works. Give me a diagram; draw me a picture. What does this ‘resurrection body’ look like?” If you look at this question closely, you realize how absurd it is. There are no diagrams for this kind of thing. We do have a parallel experience in gardening. You plant a “dead” seed; soon there is a flourishing plant. There is no visual likeness between seed and plant. You could never guess what a tomato would look like by looking at a tomato seed. What we plant in the soil and what grows out of it don’t look anything alike. The dead body that we bury in the ground and the resurrection body that comes from it will be dramatically different[vs.35-38 TM]

I've probably read at least fifty books about Heaven.  Some are priceless while others are rubbish.  The scriptures say a lot more about Heaven than most of us realize.  Yet, specifics are harder to come by.  We are left to speculate, but that's okay to do.  I Corinthians 2:9 says:  (NASB)

Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered into the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him.

Then I John 3:2 says:  (TM)

Who knows how we'll end up!  What we know is when Christ is openly revealed, we'll see him - and in seeing him, become like him.

You see, the Bible is full of hints.  We have permission to play with those hints and speculate and wonder...

C. S. Lewis did just that!  He speculates about Heaven big time in his series of books, THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA.  Others like his friend, J. R. R. Tolkein have done the same.  

In recent years we've had a flurry of books about supposed accounts of visiting Heaven during out-of-body experiences related to 'after death' experiences.  A few have been completely debunked.  I've read several of these.  In my humble opinion, they weigh an ounce while verses from the scripture weigh a ton!  

The more important matter here is one that I think is grossly missed by so many, in spite of the fact that Jesus said it repeatedly.  [John 11:26 NASB]

...everyone who lives and believes in Me shall never die.

 John 8:51 (NASB)

Truly, truly I say to you, if anyone keeps my word he shall never see death.

Paul talks about it later in I Corinthians 15:50-52 (TM):

But let me tell you something wonderful, a mystery I'll probably never fully understand.  We're not all going to die - but we are all going to be changed.  You hear a blast to end all blasts from a trumpet, and in the time that you look up and blink your eyes - it's over.  On signal from that trumpet from heaven, the dead will be up and out of their graves, beyond the reach of death

What does this "going to be changed" imply?  I love speculating about what this will be like.  My nephew, Marshall, and I have been playing with it.  I know I've probably raised more questions than provided answers, but it's a topic worth thinking about.  

What seems clear is that what looks like death from our living end of things, is not really death.  Rather, a change has taken place!  That person who appears to us to be dead, has - if a believer - been transformed in a moment, the twinkling of an eye, to something NEW!  Something that is in some ways, like Jesus in His resurrected body!  [More about that to come...]

Keep in mind:  these glorious occurrences are only for those who believe.  The destination for those who did not believe is less desirable - certainly to be feared!  We must work while we still can to convince those who don't yet believe to change their hearts and embrace Jesus and His truth!  It's a matter of eternal consequence!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment