Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2022

EACH OF US IS AN ORIGINAL

I used my pressure washer on Saturday to clean my truck.  At the end it was blowing a spray out of the side, but it still seemed to work long enough for me to finish the job. 

Sunday afternoon, my son, Troy, came by to borrow the truck to get his giant pumpkin to the Canfield Fair.  He asked about borrowing the pressure washer, too.  I told him about the problem I had encountered.  In less than a minute, he had identified the problem.

This morning in our usual text-exchange, he told me he’d ordered the part and would soon have it fixed.  Then he promised to use it immediately and return it. 

Now, let me explain that this would have been a huge issue for me!  I’m NOT mechanical!  I’m not good at fixing things!  I can do some things, of course, but I often refer to myself as a ‘butcher’.  😂 

Troy’s and my gifts couldn’t be more extreme!  We knew when he was very young that he would make a living with his hands!  He was always at my side learning and wanting to participate in anything I was doing. 

My gifts are more relational.  I’m a pastor, a speaker, a writer and a counselor – the humanities.  Troy’s not much interested in these areas.  J

We’re both good men!  We each love the Lord and seek to serve Him to the best of our abilities!  Our VERY DIFFERENT ABILITIES! 

If I’m honest, I’d have to admit that I envy Troy (and others like him).  I wish I had that set of skills and ability!  Sometimes the gifts that I have don’t seem very valuable.  It discourages me when I can’t fix something and have to call Troy (or a friend) for help! 

__________________________________

I just read and summarized Galatians 5 this morning – a rather lengthy process.  As I came to the end of the chapter, I came across these words [which inspired this post]:

"…the life of the Spirit…means we will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse…Each of us is an original.”   [Galatians 5:25-26  TM]

It was an ‘ouchee’ moment for me as I sat quietly before the Lord. 

To envy others is to deny the marvelous ingenuity of God in making me who I am!  I am an original!  So is Troy!  I celebrate his gifts and love him for who he is!  I also celebrate the gifts God has given me! 

Are you getting this?

Don’t look at others and envy them!  Don’t do it! 

Maximize what God has given you!  Live for His glory – not yours!  You too ARE AN ORIGINAL!  Take full advantage of that!  And praise the Lord! 

No comments:

Post a Comment