Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

I WASN'T ALWAYS OLD

My grandson is riding his bike a lot.  He lives in Rockledge, Florida, where it's quite flat.  He rides to visit some school friends and they spend time together.

WIWAK* I rode my bike A LOT!  My hometown, New Brighton, PA, is built on levels as it steps up from the Beaver River to the hillside rimming the city.  I don't guess they have specific names, but there was downtown; then the level where there were a lot of schools, churches and homes; then Oak Hill; and then Brighton Heights - where I lived.

So, I loved riding downtown - all downhill; especially rounding the big bend on Mercer Road!  

At first, I rode an old 20" regular bike - nothing fancy.  I barely remember it.  I stretched one year and asked for an English racer for Christmas.  I knew it wasn't likely that I'd get it.  At the end of the Christmas morning, I'd received lots of great gifts - but no bike!  But, that was okay.

My dad asked me to gather up all of the wrapping trash and take it to the garage.  When I carried the box of trash into the garage, there sat a brand new, bright red, three-speed, English racer!  Yep!  Unbelievable!  I rode it around in the garage to my parent's delight!  Later, I took it out and rode it up William Penn Way in the snow!

From that point on, I lived on that bike!  My friend, Bob Creese and I would ride out Stuber Road in the summer and go exploring.  I rode it to my job [caring for Dr. Chadwick's yard] up by the Beaver Falls Country Club many times!  Several times, Bob and I rode our bikes to Darlington Lake to swim!  

I delivered TV Guides back then - a once-a-week job that took me all over New Brighton, including Marion Hill!  [I made $.04/copy! 👌]   

It was great!  I loved my bike.  But, all things progress, right?  Eventually, I got a Moped.  Then, I advanced to a Honda S90.  Eventually I bought a Honda 350.  And later in life I picked up a Honda 200 - just for fun!  I've bought several sets of matching 10-speeds over the years, but Deb's knees never encouraged her to ride much with me.  

I love taking a bike on trips to Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head or Florida.  I enjoy peddling around and exploring while Deb reads.  Right now I'm without a bike, but my son, Troy, recently called and asked if I wanted his old one.  You bet!  If we drive to Rockledge this winter, I'll go riding with Coltin!  Now that'll be fun!  

*  When I Was A Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment