Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dancing Lessons

I read recently that people who dance regularly live longer, are less depressed, are healthier, and sleep better!  Scientific evidence supports the fact that those who dance 3-4 times per week have a significantly lesser incidence of dementia!  I don't know about you, but I want all of those! 

My wife's parents love to dance (and do it well).  They're in their 80's and are going strong! 

Fred Astair lived to be 88.  Gene Kelly lived to be 84.  King David lived to be 80. 

Dancing burns fat and is good exercise.  It gets the blood flowing.

I never learned to dance when I was young.  The church labeled it a sin back then. 

In Ecclesiastes it says there's "...a time to dance."  Jesus said, "We played the flute for you and you did not dance."  Psalm 149 and 150 say:  "Let them praise His name in the dance." and "Praise Him with the timbrel and dance..."  That all makes me think:  "It must be OK."

I think it all went bad when Herodias' daughter danced for Herod so that her mother could have John the Baptist beheaded.  I think from that point on - dancing has gotten a bad rap. 

The only real opportunities for me to dance with my wife are at weddings.  She's a good dancer!  I feel real self-conscious!  I often wish (while at wedding receptions) that I knew how to dance!  I admire people who look so smooth on the dance floor! 

We tried square dancing once.  I can twist.  I love the chicken dance and the Hokey Pokey!  I can electric slide.  I really think there's a dancer hiding somewhere inside me. 

Now that science is on my side, I really want to learn!  Anyone know where I can get some good dancing lessons?

No comments:

Post a Comment