Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A Strange Look!

I'm presently living on the Kiski Valley Free Methodist Campground in Apollo, PA.  By the way, did you know that Apollo, PA is a palindrome?  A classic example of a palindrome is racecar;  a more common one is noon.  :-)   But, I digress...

This morning, I was in the men's restroom brushing my teeth, shaving and to get a shower.  By the way, do you 'get' showers or 'take' showers?  You'll probably need a family member to help you determine this.  I 'take' showers, but most of my family 'get'showers!  To each his or her own!

Where was I?

Oh, yes!  I had brushed my teeth and was shaving.

Let me give you a little history here:  I started shaving when I was about 16. My Dad used a shaving mug and brush along with a double-edged razor.  I continued the tradition of using the shaving mug and brush, but advanced to more efficient razors;  I think mine's a Gillette TracII.  :-)

I tried early on to get Travis and Troy to carry on the male, Haire tradition of a mug and brush!  There's nothing like smearing your face with hot foam every morning prior to scraping off those whiskers!  But, alas, they both chose to abandon tradition and switch to electric shavers.  Oh well!  I tried!

Anyway, I acknowledge that there are not a lot of us who still lather up with a mug and brush!  However, it's one of the happy moments of my day!

This morning, after brushing my teeth, I got the water nice and hot to wet my brush and create that wonderfully hot lather.  I smeared it around on my face and neck!  Ahhhhhh...such joy!

Just then, a young boy walked into the restroom and caught me in my moment of bliss.  The look on his face was mystic.  He was captivated.  He had obviously never observed this ritual before!  His Dad is probably one of those electric shavers!  I could tell that he was intrigued with seeing a man with white foam all over his face.  His stare was a little longer than was comfortable, but I allowed him his moment of wonder.

This scene seems to elicit curiosity.  Every once-in-a-while, Debbie will still stand and watch me shave. She did it a lot when we were first married!  She says:  "I just love to watch you shave!"

[A little caveat:  When she started to shave her legs, she used her Dad's razor. He came bursting out of the bathroom shortly after asking the girls if one of them had used his razor to shave their legs.  She confessed. He said he knew that the hair was too soft to be his whiskers.   He told her to get her own razor!]

Anyway - I don't know his name, and I didn't speak to him.  I regret that now.  He was young and impressionable and was a potential convert!  Maybe I'll see him again before camp ends...

No comments:

Post a Comment