Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2016

TRI STATE FREE METHODIST FAMILY CAMP

Believe it or not, I became even more committed to Family Camp this year than ever before!

It happened when the children went forward during evening worship one night and sang for us.  The results were phenomenal!  I watched them sing with such joy.  My grandson become my focal point. He is typically a slow starter.  One week into camp, he began waving his hand in morning chapel volunteering for parts in the acting out of the Bible story!  He ran to the front to participate, shouting over his shoulder to his sister to catch up!  I was stunned!  But THIS evening he stole the show.  He was exhibiting the motions to the songs with grand gestures!  He was using dance moves that none of us knew he had!  His mother (my daughter) sat enthralled, watching with amazement and wondering: "Is that my son?"

That's when it hit me!

If we did this only for the children - it would be worth it!

But, it's NOT just for the children!  It's for all of us!

God uses camp to lift us up!  He encourages us!  He fills us!  He gives us joy!  He builds meaningful relationships!  He strengthens families!  He settles in among us and truly becomes the God who "...moved into the neighborhood."  

As this year's speaker, I had meaningful conversations with people who:
  • clearly stepped up to a new relationship with God
  • resolved issues
  • confessed sin 
  • opened new areas to God's control
  • committed to reading His Word
  • established new priorities as parents, and 
  • accepted the challenge to rid themselves of destructive habits.
And no one benefited more than me!  God used this year's camp to rescue me from a vector that began nearly two years ago in my life.  I had allowed major life-issues to distract me from His purposes for my life! I was floundering significantly!  I have been fruitless throughout this time!  All those who usually benefit from being near me suffered loss.  

But, God in His grace, used this assignment to renew me!  I am forever grateful!  

Family Camp is a fun time of living in community!  God's grace is released in our lives and it soaks us thoroughly!  

To all who worked ahead of time and during camp to make it another great year  -  THANK YOU!  

I've always participated in camp.  There's an old picture in the dining hall that includes my mother;  I'm in that picture too, because I was in her womb!  So, I've been going to camp since before I was born!  

For years, Debbie and I packed up and moved completely to camp - even though we only lived two miles away!  Ha ha ha ha...  We knew the value of camp was magnified by actually living there and participating fully!  

I've held most jobs at the camp:
  • camp director
  • camp president
  • youth leader
  • children's director
  • worship leader
  • evangelist
  • missionary
  • bathroom cleaner
I haven't yet been business manager, trustee or cook.  :-)  However, I have helped with most major projects over the years.

Yet, this year, God spoke to my heart again.  I have determined to be a stronger financial supporter of the camp.  I'm at a season of life where I can give more than I could in earlier years while raising a family.  

Why do this?

Because I've seen the value!  This must go on!  I want to see Coltin dance again!!!!!  

Oh, kudos to Kurt and Sarah Scott - the ones who taught the kids the song!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment