Search This Blog

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Disappointed Expectations - Follow-up Thoughts

When Debbie and I were preparing to go to teach in China, we went through a process that was guided by necessity and by the agency that we worked with. 

This process included reading several books about Chinese culture.  We also spent two days in training sessions with several people who were presently serving in the same role in China.  We were grateful to have this information and found it most helpful. 

For instance, I love to have a toothpick in my mouth.  I play with it and tweak it with my tongue.  I don't know why I do this - I just do.  We learned that such behavior would be considered rude in China.  After arriving, our teammates assured us that it was acceptable to use a toothpick in China as long as you used your other hand to hide what you were doing. 

We learned many other things.  When living in a culture with four times as many people as we have in America in a geographical space that is about the same size, you can imagine that cultural norms will be different.  In China, if you approach boarding a city bus the way we do in America, you will be left standing on the curb.  Forming a line and being courteous is a luxury you can't afford in such a crowded environment! 

However, if you're a young child or an elderly person, you can always be sure that you will get a seat on a bus.  Because of deeply entrenched cultural mores regarding respecting the elders and cherishing the young, these groups often receive favored treatment. 

We were also encouraged to eat what was set before us - a lesson also taught by Jesus.  I often ate things that I didn't recognize while in China.  Out of courtesy for my hosts, I tried everything.  Many things I liked;  some things I did not like. 

Eating habits are very different with the main distinction being the almost exclusive use of chop sticks.  Debbie and I decided to use chop sticks exclusively during our stay in China!  [We broke this rule only when serving American-style meals - which we rarely did.] 

We were privileged to travel a great deal during our stay in China.  We saw many amazing sights!  We fussed over every place we visited and openly expressed our admiration and delight! 

I openly taught my students that before visiting another country they should read about the cultural norms of that country so as not to be a source of offense while visiting that host country.  I think it's incumbent for all of us to practice this courtesy. 

These things being part of my background may be part of the reason for my disappointed expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment