Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

WAS THERE A WAY OUT FOR SAUL?

 As I read the the middle chapters of I Samuel, my heart aches for King Saul.  Follow this progression:

I Samuel 16:14

Now the Spirit of the LORD had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD tormented him.

I Samuel 18:6-10

When the men were returning home after David had killed the Philistine, the women came out from all the towns of Israel to meet King Saul with singing and dancing, with joyful songs and with timbrels and lyres. As they danced, they sang:
“Saul has slain his thousands,
and David his tens of thousands.” 

Saul was very angry; this refrain displeased him greatly. “They have credited David with tens of thousands,” he thought, “but me with only thousands. What more can he get but the kingdom?” And from that time on Saul kept a close eye on David.

The next day an evil spirit from God came forcefully on Saul. He was prophesying in his house, while David was playing the lyre, as he usually did. Saul had a spear in his hand and he hurled it, saying to himself, “I’ll pin David to the wall.” But David eluded him twice.

The saga of this jealousy goes on painfully for twelve more chapters until finally Saul takes his own life at the end of the book!  

From a twenty-first century perspective, we can wonder, was Saul Bi-Polar?  
What is this evil spirit from the Lord?
Music therapy seemed to help Saul - except his musician was the very one he had grown to hate!
Was there a way out for Saul?  

I came across a line in my reading that may have helped Saul:  
"The strongest defense against the attacks of jealousy is a grateful heart for what God has done in your life and what He is doing in the lives of others."
As one who has wrestled with the demons of depression, I've especially found the first part of this to be helpful!  No matter how badly I feel, I can ALWAYS find things to be thankful for!!!!  Now, I wish I could tell you that this is the first thing to come to my mind when depression comes knocking;  but it usually takes a bit of time for me to realize this.  However, once I realize it, the battle is almost over!  

Years ago, when I was worshiping with Steve and Judi Haydu and JESUS SAID Ministry in downtown Akron on Saturdays (with hundreds of homeless people), we often sang a song that really helped me:
God, You're so good to me, and You've always been so good to me!
I'll shout it through eternity! God, You're so good!   [Repeat]

CHORUS:
I wanna sing Your praises, all night long and every day!
I'll stand and worship You, the whole night through!

God, You're so merciful, and You've always been so merciful!
Your blessings are so bountiful, God, You're so good!  [Chorus]

God, You're so beautiful, and You're always been so beautiful!
Every day You're faithful, God, You're so good!

Call it music therapy - call it what you want - but by the time I sing this chorus, I always feel better!  Why?  Because Terry Clark has caught the simple essence of the goodness of God in these words and with her music!   

I just need reminded of it!  Saul needed reminded of it, but he had not allowed people into his life who could guide him.  He had shut himself off from wise counselors - and he suffered for it!  Don't do that!  Don't isolate yourself!  Always stay connected to people who can speak Godly truth into your life!  

Way back before the praise and worship movement began, we had a gospel song that had the same effect on me.  If you know it, sing it.  If you don't know it - read it and be reminded of God's goodness!  Leave jealousy and depression behind and move forward into God's goodness!

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost
Count your many blessings, name them one by one
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly
And you will keep singing as the days go by

So, amid the conflict, whether great or small
Do not be disheartened, God is over all
Count your many blessings, angels will attend
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end

Count your blessings, name them one by one
Count your blessings, see what God hath done
Count your blessings, name them one by one
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done



No comments:

Post a Comment