Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

PSALM 1 - HE SHALL BE LIKE A TREE

Psalm 1 stands like a golden gateway to a book of delights and rich instruction!  Some of you - like me - memorized it when we were young.  I can still quote it today [in the King James Version :-)].  

THINGS NOT TO DO:

  1. Refuse to walk in the counsel of the ungodly;  do not take their advice or follow the pattern of their lives.
  2. Refuse to stand in the way of sinners.  Standing is even a lower step.  When you stand in sin, it shows you have been brought under the spell of evil.
  3. Refuse to sit - to take the scorner's seat is to take the despicable place possible.  The scorner sits idly by watching the struggles of others but not caring.
THINGS TO DO:
  1. Read the Bible.
  2. Delight in it.
  3. Meditate on it.
THINGS THAT RESULT:

Planted - the settled and steadfast life in luxuriant soil.
Purpose - the productive life.
Prosperous - the abiding, happy life.

Cheri Fuller writes:  [Praying Through the Bible, July 3]

Awful advice, crushing consequences, and a raunchy reputation - that's what you get when you follow worldly counsel and people.  What do you get when you follow God?  JOY!  There is delight in doing what God wants because it is only then that we are doing what we were created to do.  We are accomplishing our purpose.  We are following the counsel of an all-wise, all-knowing God and experiencing the countless benefits that come with that.
"God, more than anything, I want to make You happy.  I want to do and be all that You planned when You created me.  It's Your counsel I want to follow, Your side I want to be on, and Your behavior I most want to imitate.  Help me to continually think of You and the words You wrote so that I might experience Your joy.  May You smile when You think of me."

 "Joy is the most infallible sign of the presence of God."  [Leon Henri Marie Bloy 1846-1917]


No comments:

Post a Comment