Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

PARISHONER AND FRIEND

I probably met Jim Heldreth on the grounds of the Tri-State Campground [a lot of people knew him as Jack].  He was a strong supporter of the camp through the years.  He was about ten years younger than my parents, but thirty years older than me.  He and my father served on many Rochester District and Pittsburgh Conference committees together.

Jim was a trustee at Roberts Wesleyan College for many years and was highly regarded for his service there.  While I was a student in the early 1970's, he looked me up on a couple of occasions for a brief visit - always ending with the question:  "Harold, how are you doing spiritually?"  

Not many people asked that question and I appreciated his concern for my spiritual well-being.  

Little did either of us know that in a little more than ten years, I would be appointed to be his pastor at the Oakland Free Methodist Church in East Liverpool, Ohio (1982).  

Jim had some characteristics that I'll now try to describe:
  • He was a deeper thinker than most.
  • He often saw things from a perspective that was unique to him.
  • He 'noodled' on things for long periods before establishing an opinion.
  • When he established an opinion, he held to it tenaciously.
  • He was not an emotional man but held to his beliefs as precious!
  • He was a very handsome man and could be very charming (which I'm sure contributed to his success as a salesman).  
  • He lived according to principles that he had discerned and never broke them.
I recall a story he told me of finding a quarter along the road in front of his 'growing-up' home.  He ran with it to his father holding it out with excitement.  His father asked Jim if the quarter was his.  He explained that he had found it.  But his father asked again if it was his quarter.  Jim answered, "No."  His father responded, "Then put it back where you found it."  

Jim's past was important to him.  He continued to own the original homestead property for many years.  He took me along on trips to West Virginia several times to visit that old home and property.  It was well-hidden in the cracks and valleys on back roads that could hardly be called roads.  Yet Jim still knew and talked with all his 'neighbors'.  I enjoyed those road-trips together.  He was a different man there.

He challenged me frequently and was not timid to let me know when I had disappointed him or when he disagreed with me.  Most of the time, he seemed to think I was a pretty solid preacher.  😊  But there were other times that he held my feet to the fire.  

During the thirteen years I served as his pastor, the American church was going through a rapid series of changes.  These were replicated in the Oakland Church.  I found myself in the tenuous position of trying to maintain a balance between a fairly established group of older believers (who had built the current building and were strong supporters of the church financially and with their attendance) and a group of younger, more charismatic believers who had a bigger, more aggressive vision.

As the church grew and changed - ultimately becoming a church of well over two hundred, my relationship with Jim seemed to stumble.  He never withdrew from me, but our closeness diminished.  I always regretted that. 

When I was part of the Promise Keeper's movement in the 1990's, I received a teaching from Howard Hendricks that I agreed with:
“Every disciple needs three types of relationships in his life. He needs a 'Paul' who can mentor him and challenge him. He needs a 'Barnabas' who can come along side and encourage him. And he needs a 'Timothy,' someone that he can pour his life into.”
Jim Heldreth was my Paul for a season and I appreciate the investment he made in me! 


OBITUARY
James Jackson Heldreth, 98, of Chester, WV, formally of East Liverpool, OH passed away peacefully on Thursday, May 28, 2020 at East Liverpool City Hospital.
James was born on December 24, 1921 in Smithfield, WV the son of the late Wilbert C and Ethel (Dye) Heldreth.  James joined the US Marine Corps during World War II and served in the South Pacific.    He graduated from Chesbrough Seminary, which is now Roberts Wesleyan College in Rochester, New York.  Later he served for 18 years on Roberts Board of Trustees and upon resigning was elected into the Alumni Hall of Fame.  James was employed by Chrysler Corporation, Ferro Corporation and Endicott Church Furniture Inc. of Winona Lake, Indiana, where he worked  as a Sales Counselor  until he retired in 1983.   James was a member of the Free Methodist Church since 1933 and at Oakland Free Methodist Church in East Liverpool since 1941.  The college and church were his main interest in life.
James was preceded in death on March 2, 2006 by his wife, Anna, whom he married on March 14, 1941.
James is survived by one brother, Charles Heldreth of Columbiana, OH and many nieces, nephews, and cousins


No comments:

Post a Comment