Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2020

FURTHER THOUGHTS ON THE BIRTH OF ISAAC

 At the time when the promise of descendants was made to Abraham, he and his wife Sarah were childless.  So God's promise strained their credulity to the limit.  How could they have a stream of descendants if they did not have even one?

Then the years passed.

Abraham turned to God at one point and complained that the heir to his estate would be Eliezer of Damascus.  But the Lord assured him that his heir would be his own son coming from his own body [Genesis 15:1-4].  And Abraham believed God.

Next, Sarah had the bright idea that she would give her Egyptian maidservant Hagar to Abraham as his concubine.  "Perhaps I can build a family through her," she said.  Abraham agreed, Hagar conceived, and Ishmael was born.  But Sarah became jealous, and it was obvious that Ishmael was not the promised child [16:1-6].

Fourteen years after the promise - they got it right, after the cynicism of laughter.  Isaac was born and the elderly couple took joy in counting his fingers and toes.

We are created in His image.  He gave us minds and creativity.  Most of the time, that's a blessing.  However, sometimes, we use our minds to try to fill in gaps that are better left to God and His timing.

When in debt, Debbie and I tried consolidation loans to resolve our problems.  It increased our debt!  We also tried raising our level of income;  that was before we learned that 'Expenditure rises to meet income!'  Increasing our income never helped reduce our debt.  Our ideas were creative, but never solved our problems.

I have a strong tendency to suggest ways for God to answer my prayers.  How audacious!  Who am I?  He is the Lord and Creator of the universe!  He needs my puny input?  I DON'T THINK SO!  Yet, I persist in this wasted effort.  

Oh God,

I trust You!  

I trust You to oversee and direct my life to Your greatest advantage!

I trust You to watch over, guide and protect me and mine with the utmost care and attention!

Help me to stop trying to solve my problems and simply bring them to YOU!

Amen.


[These thoughts triggered by an article, "The Birth of Isaac" Week 5:  The Patriarchs - From Creation to Christ]

No comments:

Post a Comment