Search This Blog

Monday, September 21, 2020

ON THE RUN!

 When we think of the biblical David, we may think of several things:

  • his failures
  • his psalms
  • his victories (killing Goliath)
Many of us, who are acquainted with God's Word will quickly remember that he was a man after God's heart.

However, Psalm 6 gives us a picture of a man in pain.  We must remember that for at least eight years, David was constantly running and hiding from King Saul.  He was a fugitive!  He camped out with his three hundred men.  They hid in caves and lived in the wilderness.  He was always looking over his shoulder.  What trap was Saul laying for him today?  He slept with his sword in his hand.  

This was much different from when he watched his father's sheep.  There was no time now for playing his harp and singing to the lambs.

Add to his stress the responsibility he had for finding food for three hundred hungry men.  They also offered protection to those who lived in these outlying areas.  

From time-to-time, David fell into periods of melancholy.  Psalms 6,32,38,51,102,130, and 143 are referred to as 'penitential psalms'.  They are psalms of confession and crying out to God!  

Listen to David's appeal in Psalm 6:

Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint;  O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony.  [v.2]

I am worn out from groaning;  all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears.  My eyes grow weak with sorrow;  they fail because of all my foes.  [vs.6-7]

Remember the Hee Haw skit by Buck Owens & Roy Clark?
Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

David fell into this occasionally. Fortunately - for us - he wrote about it.

I'm not going to ask if you ever find yourself there - I know you do. We all do.

For a period of time, David had Jonathan (his covenant friend). Jonathan
wholeheartedly believed in David. He was a trusted friend! He had David's back!

Later, David had his mighty men! Read II Samuel 23:14-17,
At that time David was in the stronghold, and the Philistine garrison was at Bethlehem. David longed for water and said, “Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!” So the three mighty warriors broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the Lord. “Far be it from me, Lord, to do this!” he said. “Is it not the blood of men who went at the risk of their lives?” And David would not drink it.
This is the essence of fellowship! It's why we are to covenant together in our walk
with God.
When you are 'down', your friends can help you out.

The wisest man who ever lived wrote about this: [Ecclesiastes 4:9-12]

Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their labor:
10 
If either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
    and has no one to help them up.
11 
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
    But how can one keep warm alone?
12 
Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.

A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. 

I read recently that as we age, our circle of friendships diminish. I suppose attrition
has something to do with that. Maybe that's why I find myself, more and more,
talking with our dog, Gabe. I tell him that, next to Debbie, he's my best friend.
There's something sad about that, I know. But, I no longer operate in the busy
world of church leadership. However, I guess it does fit the motif of a dog being
man's best friend! 🙂

Nevertheless, David ends Psalm 6 praising the Lord!

The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer. [v.9]
The Lord will also hear your cry! Cry out to Jesus! Reach out to your friends!
Use the resources of God to quench YOUR thirst! You will NOT be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment