Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

TRANSFORMATION #1

When I was growing up in the church, we heard LOTS about sanctification!  At that time, you couldn't be a minister in the Free Methodist Church without espousing your belief in this doctrine.  We believed in two works of grace:  salvation and sanctification.  

I was grilled on this topic repeatedly as I progressed through the steps to becoming ordained.  I have consistently preached on the topic of sanctification through forty years of ministry - I just NEVER used the word sanctification!  I found scores of other ways to talk about the perfecting work of the Holy Spirit!  

Although it's a theological topic, it need not be boring or unapproachable.  

When God made His righteousness available to us by His Son, Jesus Christ, He meant not simply to save us but to change us!  This process of change is called sanctification.  

Jerry Bridges, in Pursuit of Holiness, says:  

"True salvation brings with it a desire to be holy."  [p.6]

God's grace operates in our lives for a greater goal than simply forgiving us of our sins.  God wants to make us more like His Son, Jesus Christ.  In effect, we are already made "saints" and at the same time called to become "saintly."  

One of my friends while growing up used to testify saying:  "I'm saved, sanctified and satisfied."  Even as a teen, I sensed that something was wrong with this.  First, I don't think we should ever be satisfied!  I prefer the Apostle Paul's testimony in Philippians 3:12-14  (NIV),

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do:  Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I also don't go around proclaiming my sanctification.  I find it to be an elastic thing.  I have a rebellious nature.  I am affected by moods, foods, weather, relationships, memories, thoughts and so much more.  Be it right or wrong, some days I am a better representative for Christ than other days.  I have to do a LOT of "...forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead!"  I wish it weren't so - but it is what it is.

I have to constantly remind myself that my being holy was initiated by God, is empowered by God and will be accomplished by God!  

He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.  [I Corinthians 1:8  NIV] 

Believe me - I'm counting on that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment