Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2020

WHY I'M AMBIVALENT ABOUT LITURGY - PART 2

 What I love about liturgy:

  • Using ancient prayers and readings that connect us to our roots.
  • Ceremonial services such as Holy Communion or the Marriage Service that have been largely unchanged through the centuries.
  • A well-chosen Call to Worship from scripture;  or even sung, such as "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty;  early in the morning, our song shall rise to Thee..."  or "Come, now is the time to worship, Come, now is the time to give your heart;  Come, just as you are to worship, Come, just as you are before your God - Come."
  • The participation factor of a responsive reading based on scripture!
  • The recitation (or reading) of the Apostle's Creed on special occasions.
  • Prayers of confession that allow time for us to reflect on our sinfulness and then hear words of absolution.
What I don't like about liturgy:
  • When leaders fail to creatively use the resources or use them poorly.
  • When liturgy never changes and is presented ad infinitum (ad nauseam).
  • I personally don't think the Lord's Prayer was ever meant to be prayed in unison as a part of worship.  I believe it was a MODEL for how our Lord wants us to pray.  
  • When our liturgy becomes the hanger for our entire worship experience.
  • If not structured by a spiritually sensitive, creative, designer, it runs a high risk of being downright boring.
  • When it doesn't bow to the sovereign leadership of the Holy Spirit!
I mentioned in Part 1, that I worshiped at the Noon Mass on the campus of Franciscan University in Steubenville several days a week for two years.  Occasionally, the mass was even led by a young priest who was a classmate.  I fairly quickly learned that, rather than be an obstruction to the flow of traffic for the Eucharist, I could also go forward and just request a 'blessing' from the priest.  [Obviously, I respected their belief that the Eucharist is just for Catholics.]  

It didn't take long to notice that the ritual was consistent although scriptures and prayers would occasionally change.  But, I was particularly moved by the high drama of Catholic worship!  Later, in New Middletown, I would sometimes attend St. Paul's Saturday evening mass.  It was pleasant for me to worship and have no responsibility for the service!  :-)  

One day, at Noon Mass, something very uncharacteristic happened that marked me deeply!  The service progressed with joyful singing.  Being an energetic campus, the sanctuary was almost always crammed full of students, staff and faculty.  As we progressed toward the Eucharist, the priest lifted up the cup and said (as always), "This is the body and blood of Christ!"  [At this point a bell rings and the moment of transubstantiation occurs.]  

This particular day, I was shocked at the people's response!  Everyone simultaneously hit their feet and began praying, singing in the Spirit or speaking in tongues!  It had never happened before and never happened again while I was there.  It went on for about two minutes.  My classmate, Deanna, was singing beautifully in English in the Spirit!  I soon joined the congregation in lifting prayers of praise to God.  It was a SACRED MOMENT that took me by complete surprise!  I asked my classmates about it after the mass;  they seemed to barely recognize that something unusual had happened.  I, on the other hand, was awestruck!  
___________________________________

If you've read both Part 1 and 2, you're beginning to sense the tension that I have with liturgy.

First, I would say that liturgy must always sublimate to the desires and work of the Holy Spirit!

Second, liturgy needs to be crafted and creatively used by spiritually sensitive leaders!

Third, a wise worship planner/leader will look for liturgy that engages and involves the worshipper!

Finally, those of us who love and use liturgy should NEVER look down on those who practice a style of worship that is less liturgical or non-liturgical!  
__________________________________

For my last four or five years at the Oakland Church in East Liverpool, I had a Youth Pastor, Raeanne Thompson.  She was (is) amazing!  Our kids (my kids) LOVED her!  She filled the youth room on Wednesday nights.  She carted kids in from the projects.  She talked many of them into coming on Sunday mornings.  To be honest, she caused me (and our church) a ton of problems!  The kids were in-and-out of worship on Sundays.  Older people were disturbed by their behavior.  She also reached younger kids who attended our Wednesday programs.  Many were unruly and disrespectful.  We brought Alma Kelly into our office.  She was a highly respected principle at an elementary school two blocks from our church.  Unruly kids were taken to the 'Principle's Office'!  :-)  Alma worked patiently and sacrificially with them there until the hour ended!

Raeanne and I worked on worship together.  We had a guiding scripture:  [Psalm 122:1 - a David Psalm]  I was glad when they said to me:  Let us go to the House of the Lord.

We tried repeatedly to plan worship in such a way that people (including the youth) would go home saying the same thing!  During those years (the late 80's and early 90's) that meant using simple worship choruses as well as hymns.  Of course, we had David Kelly at the grand piano - so he was a HUGE blessing to our worship efforts.  It meant keeping our messages simple and understandable [Raeanne preached once a month].  It also meant using drama and humor to appeal to people's interests.  [I later wrote frequent dramas to illustrate messages while serving at New Middletown.]  By the way, during the latter years, the Oakland (and New Middletown) congregation blew through the 200 barrier and we saw scores of decisions for Christ!  

Well, I know some of you are waiting for this part and plan to share your thoughts.  Let the discussion (or roasting) begin!  I deliver these posts with sincerity and love!  Love for Jesus and His Church!  


1 comment:

  1. I'm commenting on Facebook, but may return here to to a blog comment in the "old-fashioned way" :) Appreciate this series.

    ReplyDelete