Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2020

REACHING CORINTHIANS TODAY

 I'm reading I Corinthians 2 this morning.  It sounds so strange to hear the great Apostle Paul saying things like:

I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.  [v.1]

I came to you in weakness and fear and with much trembling.  [v.3]

My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words...  [v.4]

This just doesn't sound like the Apostle Paul that I visualize.  It doesn't sound like the same guy that:  [all taken from II Corinthians 11:24-29]

  • Five times...received from the Jews forty lashes minus one.  
  • Three times...was beaten with rods  
  • ...once...was stoned 
  • ...three times...was shipwrecked  
  • ...spent a night and a day in the open sea  
  • was in danger from rivers  
  • was in danger from bandits 
  • was in danger from his own countrymen
  • was in danger from Gentiles
  • was in danger in the city
  • was in danger in the country
  • was in danger at sea
  • was in danger from false brothers
  • had labored and toiled and...often gone without sleep
  • had known hunger and thirst and had often gone without food
  • had been cold and naked
  • had faced daily the pressure of concern for all the churches
Are you kidding me?  He's like the Dwayne Johnson of the New Testament!!!!!

 It's hard for me to reconcile these two opposing pictures of this dynamic New Testament leader.  How could this guy come to Corinth with fear and trembling?  

But Corinth was the capital of the province of Achaia - taking precedence even over Athens.  It was famous for its wealth, culture and games!  Corinth was so associated with immorality that a form of its name, korinthiazai, had come to mean the practice of immorality!  On the summit of the Acro-corinth behind the city stood the temple of Aphrodite or Venus, the goddess of love, and a thousand of her female slaves roamed the city's streets by night as prostitutes.  

As hard as it is to admit, it seems that the great Apostle Paul was intimidated as he arrived in this city!  Intimidated, but not enough so to stay away from it.  No, he came, he preached, he influenced - and he established a church there!  This paramount church planter established a foothold in Satan's front yard!  AWESOME!!!

God rewarded his efforts.  It was indeed a troublesome church.  Paul had to write them four letters to answer their many questions and assist in resolving problems that developed. But we are richer today for these letters and gained tremendous insight because he wrote them [and they were preserved as part of God's Holy Word].  

__________________________________

Truth be told, I'm a lot like Paul.  I can be so comfortable in a Christian environment;  but put me in a secular environment and I clam up.  I'm intimidated too.  I'm afraid of what people will think.  I'm afraid I'll look foolish or be out-argued.  I'm fearful that I'll lose my train of thought or say something wrong or stupid.  

In John 14:26, Jesus told His disciples, 

...the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you  [John 14:26, ESV].

In John 12:12, Jesus told His disciples, 

When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.

 Lord of All,

Forgive me for the times I've cowered and failed to represent You!  I'm so sorry!  You deserve better.  

Like Paul, there are times when I pull back into my shell from fear and intimidation.  I want to do better!  I want to be a voice for You anywhere and everywhere.  Help me to be more courageous!  Help me to trust Your faithful Holy Spirit!  Remembering II Corinthians 5:20,

We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us (me). We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.

This world - that I live in - is getting darker and darker all the time.  Those of us who love and serve You need to speak up!  

Holy Spirit, be the dis-comforter to me, until I yield and speak up for my Lord!  Amen.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment