Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

HAVE YOU EVER TALKED WITH AN ANGEL?

I told our Foundery staff a story yesterday and have decided to 'go public' with it today!

If you know me, you'll probably know that I have taken many retreats over the years.  These retreats served a dual purpose:  spiritual refreshment and sermon planning.

I have a deep reservoir of memories from these times away which were usually about a week in length.  I found numerous places that accommodated my needs.  I wrote about some of those places in a blog in February: https://hal-lelujah.blogspot.com/2024/02/sitting-by-sea.html

One time, I was at Mt. Zion in Roaring Branch, PA.  They placed me in a small house with a living room/kitchen on the main floor and bedroom and bath on the second.  I was seriously isolated on a country road that only caused a few cars to go by in any given day.  No cell service - except for one spot in the driveway where - if the weather was right - I could get two bars and sustain a two-minute conversation with Deb.  :-)

My schedule changes a lot when I'm on retreat.  I sleep a lot at first.  Then, I fall into a routine that is determined as I go.  I may work half the night, then sleep a while and get up to go for a prayer hike.  

This night, I had worked all afternoon and evening.  In the dark of the night at around 3:00 AM, I had been reading my Bible.  Some of the verses I came to were:

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."  [Matthew 18:10]

Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it."  [Hebrews 13:2]

"Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"  [Hebrews 1:14]

With my Bible on my lap, my head laid back against the lounger, and in the dim light of my retreat house, I began to wonder about these verses.  The following thoughts came to my mind:

  • Did I actually have a guardian angel who accompanied me everywhere I went and in everything I did?
  • Had this angel protected me at times that I was not aware of?
  • Did he have the power to influence me?
  • How many times had he guided me without me even being aware of it?
After pondering these machinations of my mind for a lengthy period of time, I considered the possibility of talking to my angel.  No one else would hear.  No one else would know - until now. 😉  Would he converse with me?  Would something supernatural take place if I ventured down this path?

Then, I just did it.

Reverently and respectfully, I began to thank my guardian angel for always being with me.  I wondered aloud if he had been involved at different times when I had experienced close calls?  I expressed appreciation for his twenty-four-hour watch over my life through all the years I had experienced up to that point!  

These moments were holy to me!  I felt the presence of God and much of my prayer diverted to Him for providing such a watch-guard over my life!  

I sat in the silence and dim light soaking in this precious moment.  

Eventually, I turned out the light, climbed the steps and fell into my bed!  I slept as soundly as I had ever slept - knowing that I was being protected by a strong, alert and capable warrior of God!  

No.  He did not speak to me.  And, no.  I have not made any attempt to speak to him again.  But I talk with his Boss - A LOT EVERY DAY!  

1 comment: