Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?

In his first book, ON THE ANVIL, Max Lucado includes a description of a time when he sat down for an hour of uninterrupted thinking to write down what he believed - "Those bedrock convictions that are worth building a life on, that are worth giving a life for." [p.85]

The following was his list:

"There is a God whose all-consuming concern is whether or not I love Him.

I have a reason to be alive.

Money is not the answer.  Therefore, an abundance of it will not rule me.

I will never die.

My family loves me and I love them.

I will live forever, and heaven is but a wink away.

I control my moods...not vice versa.

I can change my world.

The most important element in the world is another human being."

I think most Americans are living without such a list.  Our busyness and constant activity has distracted us from the contemplative life!  We rarely - if ever - take time to reflect on things that really count and can make a sizeable impact on our lives.

We live in a world where values seem to have been pitched into a cultural blender.  We give assent to things that we don't really agree with; or we give a head-nod to behaviors we really abhor - just to honor the highest American value - TOLERANCE!  

With moral foundations crumbling all around us, we must reconsider our personal values and contributions to our society!  We can make a difference!  Especially if we stand together on the principles of our faith in God!  


No comments:

Post a Comment