Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2024

SHE WAS SURPRISED THAT I KNEW THE HYMNS

I was leading a church that made a bold decision to make several key changes that would hopefully catalyze the church in growth with a specific age group: those in their twenties and thirties.  

One of these changes leaned toward being controversial.  It meant being deliberate about having people from the twenties and thirties on the platform every Sunday, AND changing our music to more fully represent the music interests of this age group.  

With the full support of the Leadership Team and their promise to defend our decision, we moved forward.  I immediately began recruiting from this age group to read scripture, make announcements and participate in as many ways as we could.  We also made an appeal for people from this group to be part of the worship team.  We made a concerted effort to target this age group's musical interests.

Of course, there was a quick lash back!  Although we had done our homework, explained our reasoning and were intentional about sustaining some of the music we had previously used, the older members of the congregation felt betrayed by our action.

FOOTNOTE:

Over the next two years our church family exploded in this age group!  The nursery crowded with babies and we had to add staff there!  This growth was pleasing to the older members who took pride in so many young families being part of our church!

We had one woman who was particularly upset with me for leading the church into this change.  She had a lovely soprano voice and volunteered from time-to-time to sing a solo during worship.  Several times, she promoted a choir during Easter or Christmas - which she led.  She was recognized throughout the community since she was a music teacher in the school system. 

During this time of change, she approached me critically over these adaptations we were making.  She was not happy about it!

During this same time period, she became seriously ill.  I went to visit with her and her husband in their home.  [When I home visit, I always bring my Bible and a hymnal which I would occasionally use to sing to older members and shut-ins.]  

In spite of her health condition, the subject of the church's music came up.  She openly expressed her dissatisfaction.  

I held up my hymnal, called her by name, and asked which hymn she'd like to sing together.  She made a comment that I probably wouldn't know the hymns that she liked.  I responded by telling her that I knew every hymn in the book!  She scoffed at that suggestion until I handed it to her and asked her to select a few.  Four times in a row, she handed it back to me with the encouragement:  "Sing this one."  Each time, I sang the hymn with her eventually joining in.  

By the end of our worship time, we were both in tears.

She looked at me with an incredulous expression.  "If you love the hymns so much, why are you leading us to sing this new stuff?"

I then explained that these twenty and thirty-somethings did not know and love the hymns the way I did!  If we wanted to reach them, we would have to adapt our music!  

I don't think she was ever happy about our changes, but the opposition stopped.  She continued to sing from time-to-time.  She and her husband continued to support the church,  with him reading scripture for me occasionally.  As mentioned above, they were delighted - along with the rest of us - to see the rallying of so many young adults and families who came to attend our church!  


No comments:

Post a Comment