Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2024

A REMARKABLY PERSONAL PSALM

Psalm 16 would probably be considered an unremarkable one.  If MANY have memorized Psalm 23, I imagine that very few have made any attempt to memorize Psalm 16.  Yet, as I read it this morning, I experienced God's blessing.  Let me unpack some of it for you.

In verse 1, David acknowledges:

"Protect me, God, for the only safety I know is found in the moments I seek You."

[All quotes from The Voice Bible unless otherwise noted]

I realized that the calmest moments of my day are when I sit in the darkness of my study early in the morning and have a talk with God.  Even then, however, my mind is beginning to churn with thoughts about my day and things on my 'to-do' list.  Repeatedly, I have to return to my conversation with Him apologizing for my wandering mind.  But He's patient with me.  :-)  It's a cuddling time and I highly value it!

In verse 2, David speaks directly to God:

I told You, Eternal One, "You are my Lord, for the only good I know in this world is found in You alone."

I was taught to pray when I was quite young by my mother.  "God is good.  God is great!"  He has never let me down!  In spite of living a blessed life, Debbie and I have faced some pretty serious challenges.  I could start to enumerate them here, but you'd quickly get tired of reading.  Suffice it to say that I used to always open worship with the phrase:

GOD IS GOOD - ALL THE TIME!

 The congregation quickly learned to respond:

AND ALL THE TIME - GOD IS GOOD!  😊

 In verse 3, David expresses gratitude for his fellow believers.

"The beauty of faith-filled people encompasses me.  They are true, and my heart is thrilled beyond measure."

Our Christian family and friends have proven to be faithful to us over the years!  

  • They've blessed us with financial help so many times!
  • They've comforted us in times of deep sorrow!
  • They've shared their resources with us!
  • They've inconvenienced themselves so many times to help us!
  • They've proven their love for us so many times and in so many ways!
Verse 5 is David's testimony of confidence in God!

"You, Eternal One, are my sustenance and my life-giving cup. In that cup, You hold my future and my eternal riches."

Although I don't know for certain, I suspect that David may be an older man when he writes this.  As I grow older, I find my trust in God growing more and more significant.  I'm more aware now than I've ever been that my days are limited.  Debbie and I have had 'the talk' repeatedly about who will go first, and what life will be like for the one who remains.  

But we mutually agree that God has been so good to us! And we know - with certainty - that according to John 11:36, [Jesus speaking] "...And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die.”  You see, we believe we have built up treasure in Heaven AND the possibility of rewards as well!  

In verse 6, David speaks of his home.

"My home is surrounded in beauty;  You have gifted me with abundance and a rich legacy."

After living most of our lives in parsonages, we now - in retirement - have our own home!  We can put a nail in the wall anywhere we want!  We're currently remodeling our living room!  Our home is nestled into a hillside of pines and other trees.  We look out over two lovely ponds and fields of grazing sheep!  David would love this place!  

Our kids love and serve the Lord!  We have so much to be thankful for!  

In verse 8, David senses God's presence.

"He is ever present with me; at all times He goes before me.  I will not live in fear or abandon my calling because He stands at my right hand."

Although I am not aware of God's presence in my life every minute - or even close to that.  However, I believe His Word and trust in His protective and guiding hand!

In verse 9, David is satisfied.

"This is a good life - my heart is glad, my soul is full of joy, and my body is at rest.  Who could want for more?  

True contentment is a wonderful thing!  All is well!  This experience is never more complete than when you have experienced peace with God and are walking in His ways!

Well, this has gone on long enough.  Oh, just one more!  😂

In verses 10-11, David's peace is based on the fact that he is eternally secure in the promises of his God!

"You will not abandon me to experience death and the grave or leave me to rot alone.  Instead, You direct me on the path that leads to a beautiful life. As I walk with You, the pleasures are never ending, and I know true joy and contentment."

David's walk with God has brought him to a place of assurance that has taken away any fear of death!  His mind seems to be on Heaven as he writes these words.  Although - at this point in his life - David does not have much to go on regarding Heaven, he seems to intuit that he will somehow not be separated from God.

We - on the other hand - have loads of information about Heaven in our Bibles!  Detailing that information is for another time and place.  However, just a hint from I John 3:2,

"Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is."

No comments:

Post a Comment