Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Weeping

I have repeatedly heard pundits make fun of John Boehner because he has wept publicly on a number of occasions.

Really?

Is it now politically incorrect for a man to weep in public?  Is a man less masculine because he shows emotion?

I have to be honest, I weep very rarely.  However, I do weep.  [Oh my!]

There are times when a man is moved deeply and it becomes difficult to speak.

So many men have been taught that real men don't cry, so they fight with all their might to prevent public tears.  Open expression of deep emotion seems to be a cause for public shame.

Anyone who has heard me speak knows that there are occasions when my emotions are so stirred that my voice cracks and I have to fight the tremors in my voice as I proceed.  Am I less of a man because of this?

Shouldn't a man weep when he's deeply grieving?  Aren't tears a natural response to pain?  Is it wrong for a man to be emotionally stirred when he sees the flag being raised and hears the national anthem - especially if that man has left fallen comrades on the battlefield?

I'm not talking about public blubbering or frequent outbursts of uncontrolled hysteria.  I'm talking about the honest expression of tears that belay a deep emotional feeling.

I think most men - if honest - would admit that they are occasionally moved to tears.  Remember the shortest verse in the Bible?  "Jesus wept."  [John 11:35].  One of His best friends had died.  Others were weeping - and Jesus joined them.

I think what we're after here is an honest expression of genuine emotion. When that occurs - in a man or woman - I don't think it should be responded to with mockery.

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment