Search This Blog

Saturday, October 24, 2015

An Old Black-American Spiritual

The funeral was held in the United States Naval Academy Chapel. It is a VERY inspiring place!  The center aisle felt like it was one-hundred yards long!  This is one of those rare places where you can still hear a massive pipe organ!  It's music fills the space in such a way that you not only hear it - you literally feel it!

We sat together in the second row with Josh and our granddaughter Rylie. Rylie held Josh's hand throughout the service;  it was precious!  The organist began to play quietly - reverently. I immediately recognized the old hymn. 

Because I was raised in a church that loved singing and valued the theology of the hymns, I knew all its words and quietly sang along. 

I'll end this blog with those priceless words, but first, a brief explanation from Wikipedia:

In the Old Testament, the balm of Gilead is taken most directly from Jeremiah chapter 8 v. 22: "Is there no balm (healing ointment) in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then is there no healing for the wounds of my [God's] people?"  The Balm of Gilead is interpreted as a spiritual medicine that is able to heal Israel (and sinners in general). 

I was deeply comforted by God as I sang:
Chorus (in bold):
There is a balm in Gilead, To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead, To heal the sin-sick soul.

Some times I feel discouraged,
And think my work’s in vain,
But then the Holy Spirit
Revives my hope again.
(Chorus)
If you cannot preach like Peter,
If you cannot pray like Paul,
Just tell the love of Jesus,
And say He died for all.
(Chorus)
Don't ever feel discouraged,
'Cause Jesus is your friend,
And if you lack for knowledge,
He'll never fail to lend.

2 comments:

  1. Amen !!!!!! Aunt Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my all-time favorite hymns. The summer I graduated high school I attended a youth camp. Joe Jordan, a blind musician/ singer was there ministering to the youth. He sang this song one night and my heart was overwhelmed by the love of Jesus and that is when I made my young adult decision to follow Him. I will never forget that night in Circleville, Ohio at the Mt. of Praise campground. It changed me for eternity. I can stand and testify ---- "There is a balm in Gilead......for the sin-sick soul." Thanks Hal for the reminder. PTL

    ReplyDelete