Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2015

How Do You Get Through This?


Three times today, Debbie burst into tears and sobbed.  Although I'm not weeping as much as she is, I feel a deep sorrow that feels overwhelming.  I feel like I have nothing to look forward to. 

Some of you have been there.  Some of you are there now, too.  Others of you may face this kind of pain at some time in the future.

We know we'll heal.  We also know that it will take time.  I once read that it takes one-hundred hours of talking about your loss to recover from deep grief.  Although the specific number sounds a little corny to me, I think the practice of talking (or writing) does help advance the process.

Meanwhile, every day is a challenge.  Anniversary dates are noticed (it was three weeks ago - tomorrow - that our tragic call came).  Holidays are marred.  Visiting certain places catapult you back into pain.

Even though I'm a pastor and a counselor, I don't have any solid answers or remedies. 

But just for the record, here's what I'm doing.  It's helping me - maybe it can help you, too.  I pray this verse from an old hymn:

While life's dark maze I tread, 
and griefs around me spread, 
be Thou my guide; 
bid darkness turn to day, 
wipe sorrow's tears away, 
nor let me ever stray 
from Thee aside.    

2 comments:

  1. We are learning so much from you as you share and process. Keep doing it as you feel drawn to do it, and we pray God uses it to heal you and others! Our hearts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are the same as Julie's. Thanks for sharing your prayer from the old hymn - it has beautiful healing words. Words I will pray.
    I can't imagine the agony you and Debbie go through during the healing process. The sentimental triggers that can rob you of joy is heartbreaking.
    I sure can't imagine how you were able to come to KFMC and give 110% to our church family after such devastating news. I do know that your lifelong trust and love for God, has proven Him faithful to you. You have been an exceptional man of God for everyone at KFMC. I continue to keep you and Debbie in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete