Search This Blog

Friday, October 23, 2015

He Was My Friend!

Josh, Debbie and I hosted a reception at the Naval Academy Officer's Club following today's funeral.

One table included some of the flowers and a large picture of Travis. There was also a screen with a repeating slide show of pictures of Trav with different people.

We were among the last to leave.

For over two years, Travis served as Flag Secretary to the Superintendent of the Academy.  The Superintendent is the Admiral who acts much as a president would. The Flag Secretary has a privileged and very public role and he is easily recognized because of a gold, braided cord that hangs from the shoulder (worn by all members of the Admiral's staff).

There was an elderly man who had been busily bussing the tables throughout the reception. He is a civilian who is apparently hired to help with the clean-up at these affairs.

He apparently had realized that Debbie was Travis' Mom. He came up to her and said, "I knew your son. He was my friend."

Enough said.

3 comments:

  1. You guys raised some awesome kids.

    - Diana Haldie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get tired of your talking about Travis. I love to hear your thoughts and stories of him. You have EVERY reason in the world to be proud of him, he was an awesome person, friend, son, cousin,nephew, grandson,etc.......to all who knew him, benefited in some way....May he rest in peace.....plz keep the loving posts. Love, Aunt Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading some of your blogs Pastor Hal, I feel like he was my friend too, and I never meant him. What a lovely son. He was a man of character, and had a very distinguished job - you and Debbie certainly deserve to be very proud of him. I'm honored to get to know Travis through your writings.

    ReplyDelete