Search This Blog

Friday, October 16, 2015

Beaches...

It's 6:00 AM here in Kenohe, Hawaii, and I've been out walking for an hour already. Slowly, I'm being joined by others - mostly cyclists. The morning beach walkers will start arriving now  it's almost light enough to read a book.

I've enjoyed the alone time. 

What is it about a beach that opens your mind and heart for reflection?  A good campfire has the same effect. 

For me, times like this always lead me to prayers of thanksgiving and praise. 

You wouldn't be surprised that I was thanking God for Travis. From the day when we counted his toes and kissed his little nose, we've loved him. 

It's been a hoot to hear his work associates talk about (and mimic) the faces Travis made if you tried to make him think before 9:00AM.  One of his seal-friends had his look down pat, and had even nick-named him 'grumpy butt'.

Travis gave us amazing opportunities for travel and took us to such interesting places!  Debbie and I (like so many others) dreamed of taking our kids to Disney World;  but it never happened. Finances were always too tight. However, Travis did get to go with my sister, Beverly (and Dick and Heather and Aunt Peggy). 

Then came irony. Five years ago, Travis and Troy took me and Debbie to Disney World for one of the most enjoyable days of our lives!  :-)

I was also thanking God for Debbie - a virtuous wife!  Our journey hasn't been without bumps. But she's been very steady.  She has been so good at creating comfort zones for me!  For instance, our home;  it has always been my refuge. 

She's given me freedom to get away to think and pray. (Sometimes, she's even pushed me out the door saying, "You need to go for a hike!"  Ha ha ha...)

And she's bold in her faith. Over and over again - while in China - she turned the conversation into a testimony. As a result, she's personally responsible for several students giving their lives to Christ!

Just last week, she testified to her hope of Heaven to a room full of Travis' friends as they wheeled him past us to the operating room. And as she did so, these friends gathered around her in a semicircle to listen. 

Let there be no mistake about it - I married up!  

All this from an early morning walk on the beach.  

Let it be known to all that I am a grateful man!  My life has been littered with friends who have given me far more than I've given them. Just yesterday, two men went to our trailer and installed four new windows that will make us much warmer this winter. What did I do to deserve this sort of kindness?  Nothing!  It's all grace!

Thank You, Lord, for Your great grace - which is new every morning!  Where would I be if it wasn't for You?  How can I say thanks...?

7 comments:

  1. The beach provides the magnificent view of the sky, water and sand beneath your toes and the breeze on your face. What bester way to talk to God in a serene place. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    And PS Debbie is awesome! ❤
    Luv Skeeter and Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Harold, the beach,and a camp fire are just the peaceful place you described to reflect. I have done in many times. You ARE a special guy, and Debbie is a very special lady. Love you both....Debbie was my first niece, and I couldn't love her more than I already do. And Travis was a special young man that you two raised. I have my tale of him too....it is a good one........When we come up north in spring, I will make it a point to get together with you.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Hal, I have heard the words "Power House" couple. You and Debbie are definitely that in my eyes.

    Keep on writing....it is a true delight to read the words you pen and the wisdom or time of reflection that it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brother, you are the picture of courage. I want to thank you for being an example of Christ when no one would think less of you for being anything less. You are a true man of God and I am blessed to know you and blessed to be able to call you a brother in Christ! Praying for you and your family, thank you for being a testimony of God's love, mercy, and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hal, your voice is clear in my head as you share your thoughts and reflections along the beach earlier today. A slow smile forms as I read of Travis's friends and their memories of him, of your acknowledgment towards your best friend and wife, Deb, and her goodness to you. Mostly my heart races as I read of your praise for our God and your Thanksgiving for his grace and mercy, new every morning. Thoughts, prayers and friendship sent your way, Hal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hal and Debbie, you have been in our prayers, and our praise. Your confidence in the Lord seeps out of every crack in your times of brokenness. (Actually, it doesn't "seep" it "pours.") You are an encouragement to all who read of your triumph in weakness, your victory in distress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely my favorite blog, Pastor Hal. I really enjoyed reading all the other comments too. It's full of joy and thanksgiving for God's magnificent creation and the special people he created just for you-Travis and Debbie. I liked learning Travis' nickname too - very cute. God is certainly good!!!
    To hear about your love for Debbie is so refreshing. She's a total delight - you sure did marry up (I like that). To hear about her testimonies for God in China that brought people to Christ, and to hear her talk about the hope of Heaven during her own crisis, is truly amazing. I can take away a lot from what I learned about your "virtuous" Debbie.
    You should take more walks on the Beach, Pastor Hal. You had some really good reflections about your life. Thanks for sharing - it was a joy to read!!!

    ReplyDelete