Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

DECISION MAKING

Recently Deb asked me if I would like to do something.  My initial response was to simply respond: “I’d like to take some time to think and pray about it.” To my surprise, she immediately came back with, “Why do preachers always have to pray about everything.  God gave you a mind, so just use it to make a decision!”

I was dumfounded as I looked back at her – dazed by her question!  I countered: “So, you’re advising me not to consult with God, but just to make a decision on my own?"  She began to laugh.  I took twenty-four hours to ponder the decision and then chose not to participate. 

In Genesis 13, Abram and his nephew, Lot, have been travelling together for quite a while.  However, after leaving Egypt and returning to Canaan, their wealth and possessions had increased significantly.  Their shepherds began having conflicts over keeping the flocks separated.  Their combined presence was becoming too great an impact on the land.

Abram brought the matter up to Lot:

Let’s not fight. I don’t want there to be any animosity between you and me, or between our herders. After all, we’re family. A vast land is out there and available to you. It is time for us to go our separate ways. You choose your land. If you choose east, I’ll go west. If you choose west, I’ll go east—it’s your call. [vs.8-9  All scripture will be from The Voice Bible]

The Voice Bible includes the following editorial comment:

“Abram is an exemplary man of faith. Being older than Lot, he by custom has first choice of the property, but he waives his right and grants Lot the first choice. Given their recent experiences in the famine, it is no wonder that Lot chooses the lush, fertile soils of the Jordan Valley for his new home. But as Lot moves his family east, he moves farther from Abram and closer to danger.

Those who know the rest of the story will remember that Lot ended up in significant trouble in the valley!  Abram had to come to his rescue.  Eventually, God’s judgment fell on Sodom and Gomorrah and Lot had to flee the valley in order to save his family!

An easy, logical decision had major, negative impact on Lot and his family!  As a younger, aggressive man – less entrenched in the faith of his fathers – Lot shows no evidence of a close walk with God!

______________________________

Now, I understand that we make hundreds of thousands of decisions every day:

  o      When to get up
  o      What to wear
  o      Which route to take to work
  o      What to eat
  o      How to drive
  o      How to use our time
  o      Etc., etc..

So, I’m obviously NOT referring to these.  We have to use discernment about when to push the ’pause button’ and set aside time to pray about an impending decision.

Daily prayer appointments and quiet times give us a regular opportunity to talk with God about the things going on in our lives!  Waiting before the Lord in silence gives Him an opportunity to speak into our lives and give us direction and guidance. 

Many may find it difficult to believe that God is that interested in the details of our lives!  After all, isn’t the Lord of the universe busy directing the traffic of stars, countries and rulers?  Are you implying, Hal, that the great God cares about the minutia of my life?

Uh, yes.

But – notice – He didn’t impose His wisdom on Lot!  He sometimes lets us stumble as a result of our choices.  I know – that seems mean and uncaring, but we had a choice, and we chose not to consult Him.  That’s on us – not Him! 

_______________________________

Developing and maintaining a significant prayer life is hard!  Learning to wait in silence – however brief – is not easy.  We live with so many distractions and so much to do.

I remember years when I longed to have more time to spend in prayer and the Word!  Even then, I was getting up quite early to have some private time with God.  Now that I’m retired, I have the luxury of extended – almost unlimited – time with Him in prayer and in His Word. 

Please don’t think I’ve got this all wrapped up.  Some mornings I’m more into it than others.  Some mornings I pray with lackluster.  Some mornings I don’t seem to connect with what I’m reading.  Ah, but other mornings I do connect and have to eventually pull myself away! 

Some keys:

o   Find a place that works for you.  John Wesley’s mother – Susannah – had nineteen children.  She taught them that they were not to interrupt her when she sat in the kitchen with her apron over her head!  J  So, be creative!

o   Discern a time that works best for you.  I’m a morning person (partly because I now go to bed around 9:00 PM).  We’re all different!  My model won’t work for you.  Experiment until you find a time that works.  I knew a guy that drove to work quite early to avoid the traffic.  Then, he sat in his car for his devotional time before going in to work!

o   Don’t undervalue a pen and some paper.  A prayer list will help you stay accountable to those you promise to pray for.  If you think you are hearing from God – WRITE IT DOWN so you won’t forget. 

o   Be careful about overcommitting!  If you’re reading too much – chances are, you’ll quit.  If your prayer time is boring, you’ll fall asleep or avoid it in the future.  Obviously, we can go in-and-out of prayer throughout the day!  Take advantage of this privilege. 

Be persistent and find a way to stay engaged with the One who loves you more than anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment