Search This Blog

Saturday, January 27, 2024

TIME FLIES - A 72 YEAR REVIEW

·         Born in 1952.  Rough entry: Dr. Chadwick had to break my collar bone to get me here!

·         In the mid-fifties, our family made a trip out west for several weeks.  I don’t remember it at all.  I was later told that I was potty-trained on that trip.  Gas stations back then had two-seat outhouses.  My dad apparently set me beside him and I learned to go!  I know, TMI.

·         I was in eighth grade – in Mr. Angle’s class – when we learned that President Kennedy had been shot!

·         The New Brighton Free Methodist Church was a BIG part of my life while growing up!

·         I have no memory of living with my sister, Jeannette [15 years older than me], or my brother, Ira, [12 years older than me].  My sister, Beverly, was around until I was eleven.  After that, I was like an only child.

·         My dad started me working when I was eleven.  I took care of our doctor’s yard – mostly on Saturdays when I rode my bike to his house near the Beaver Valley Country Club.  Gradually, I picked up five more lawns and cared for them until I left home.  One of them was our principal, Mr. Taylor, but I never let anyone know that!  

·         My dad bought a second car when I turned sixteen!  He said: “This is your mother’s car, but when she’s not using it – you can use it.”  [My Mom never used the car!  ;-)]

·         In 1968, Debbie Whippo asked me out on our first date!  J

·         I graduated in 1969, and left home permanently three days later for Philadelphia where my brother got me a ‘helper’ job working for a roofing, heating and air conditioning company.  I made $2/hour!!!!!!

·         I started at Roberts Wesleyan College in fall, 1969, and graduated in 1973.

·         Debbie and I were married in August, 1973, and moved to Kentucky after our honeymoon.

·         We attended Asbury Theological Seminary for three years. During this time I became a student-pastor to the Tunnel Hill FMC in English, IN. 

·         We bought our first home in Wilmore:  a 40’ x 8’ old, mobile home; we paid $1,800.  Travis was born while we lived there.  We later sold it for $1,800.  J

·         In 1976, I quit school and was assigned to my first full-time church:  Jeannette, PA.

·         In 1978, I was appointed to the McClellandtown FMC.  Troy [1980] and Tracie [1981] were born while there.  My mom died in 1981, when I was 29.

·         In 1982, I was appointed to the Oakland FMC where I served for thirteen years!  Travis started and finished school while in East Liverpool [unusual for a preacher’s kid].

·         Having decided to continue my seminary education, I attended classes at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary for a number of years, graduating in 1987.

·         In 1991, I graduated from Franciscan University of Steubenville with an MA in Counseling. In 1992, my father died at the end of Family Camp.

·        In 1995, Travis graduated from high school and we moved to Maryland where I led the Spencerville FMC.  Travis’ Naval career eventually led him to the U.S. Naval Academy which was twenty-six miles away! 

·         At the end of 1996, we went through a period of adjustment and eventually found a new home and job in Akron, OH., running a licensed home for behaviorally challenged children.  In early 1997, I also began working part time at Cornerstone Church.  Several months later, I became the full time lead associate.  Troy and Tracie each left home during this period.

·         In 2003, I was appointed to the Free Methodist Community Church in New Middletown, OH. 

·         In January, 2005, Tracie married Jon Kerstetter! 

·         In September, 2007, my favorite granddaughter was born:  Rylie Grace Kerstetter!  J

·         In March, 2009, my favorite grandson was born:  Coltin Eugene Kerstetter!  J

·         In February, 2012, Troy and Missy were married! 

·         In August, 2012, we left for Changchun, PRC, to teach English for three years at the Changchun University of Science and Technology.

·         We returned in July, 2015, and lived for a year on the farm where Debbie was raised.  I led the Kittanning FMC as a commuting, part-time pastor for a year and a half.  During that time, Travis died.  Shortly after, Deb’s dad died on Christmas night.

·         I retired in June, 2016, and we established our home in Herron Woods!  That same year, Troy and I built a two-car garage on our lot.  :-)

·         After working as a Lyft driver for five years, I retired again in August, 2023

·         In August, 2023, Deb and I celebrated 50 years of marriage!

 Thank You, Lord!  It's been quite a journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment