Search This Blog

Thursday, January 11, 2024

DEEP, DEEPLY DOWN

The bulk of the book of Job is the ongoing dialogue between Job and his friends.

Eliphaz – from Teman – is the first to speak.  He seems to think that Job’s suffering is due to unintended sins.  He encourages Job to accept God’s correction.

When Job responds to him, we find that Eliphaz’s words have not comforted Job – but upset him. 

As Job speaks, we can hear his pain! 

“Would that my anguish were weighed, laid on a scale together with the disaster I’ve suffered!  For there is not enough sand in the seas to outweigh it!  It’s no wonder my untamed words are but incoherent stammering.” [6:2-3  all quotes from The Voice Bible]

In 6:8-10 Job seems to wish that God would bring his life to an end.  It is not a suicidal wish; he knows that only God has the right to begin and end life! 

In vs.11-13, he wonders how he will be able to “persist in this life”?

In his despair he seems agitated with the lack of understanding exhibited by his friends.  However, he continues to value their friendship – they are, after all, with him in his pain!  He cries out to them: “In all seriousness, teach me, and I will be silent.  Where have I erred? Help me understand.” [v.24]

In chapter 7 Job describes his despair:

“When I lie down at the end of the day, I wonder, ‘How soon till morning so I can arise?’ But the night stretches on, and I toss and turn until sunrise.” [v.4]

In the depths of his pain he cries out to God:

“I hate my life.  I have no desire to keep on living.  Leave me alone, God, for I have only a short time left.” [v.16]

Questioning himself and his integrity, he cries out:

“I have sinned.  What have I done to You,…Why have You targeted me…?...So I’ve sinned inadvertently, can’t You pardon me? Are my crimes such You can’t forgive my sins?”  [v.20-21]

Job is deep in the pit.  He is questioning everything.  He is full of self doubt.  He needs answers and cries out to his friends!

_______________________________

Some of us have been here with Job!  We’ve felt the deep pain and the isolation that grief and sorrow brings.  We wonder where God is.  We don’t understand why the bottom seems to have fallen out.  We feel alone.  We can’t endure the long days of suffering. We wish we could just die and end it all.  We query about why things have gone so badly. 

But, like Job, we must respect God’s sole right to begin and end life!  We must turn to friends – even if their attempts to comfort and advise seem weak and ineffective.  We must continue to trust God and believe that – in His time – He will bring us out! 

The Psalmist’s words must be tattooed on our mind:

“The deepest pains may linger through the night, but joy greets the soul with the smile of morning.” [Psalm 30:5].

If you’re in this season of despair and desire the companionship of one who has travelled this road – private message me to gain a prayer partner.  I promise to maintain your confidence and privacy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment