Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

PARTNER WITH ME TODAY, LORD

‘The Chosen’ television series portrays the Sermon on the Mount as something that Jesus worked on for a long time, realizing that it was going to launch His ministry.  Whether or not this is true, it is difficult to read these chapters without being shocked, shaken and challenged.

I just read Matthew 5 and feel like it's enough to chew on for a long time.

And blessed are you, blessed are all of you, when people persecute you or denigrate you or despise you or tell lies about you on My account.  But when this happens, rejoice. Be glad.  Remember that God's prophets have been persecuted in the past.  And know that in heaven, you have a great reward.  [vs.11-12  All references are from The Voice Bible unless otherwise marked.]

I suppose you - like me - find it easy to rejoice when people do you wrong.

Yeah, right!  

It hurts me when people are mean to me, slander me or take advantage of me.  My two key responses are, (1) to shut them out of my life so they can't do it again; or (2) to fantasize about hurting them back [which I almost never do].  

But God reminds us that His people have always been persecuted!  It's as though He is saying to us:

Good job!  The fact that you're being treated this way is evidence that you're living right and annoying people by your determination to be a godly man or woman. 

But Jesus doesn't stop there. He goes on to teach:

...don't fight against the one who is working evil against you.  If someone strikes you on the right cheek, you are to turn and offer him your left cheek.  If someone connives to get your shirt, give him your jacket as well.  If someone forces you to walk with him for a mile, walk with him for two instead.  If someone asks you for something, give it to him.  If someone wants to borrow something from you, do not turn away...Pray for those who torment you and persecute you - in so doing, you become children of your Father in heaven.  He, after all, loves each of us - good and evil, kind and cruel. He causes the rain to water the fields of the righteous and the fields of the sinner.  It is easy to love those who love you - even a tax collector can love those who love him. And it is easy to greet your friends - even outsiders do that!  But you are called to something higher: "Be perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect."  [vs.39-48]

Is this hard?   Of course it's hard!  Very hard!  It runs counter to our human nature.  It challenges us to draw on the divine nature of our God and Father through the power of His Holy Spirit!  We will inevitably have to cry out over and over again: "Help me, Lord!"  "Help me to be sweet and forgiving!"  "Help me to love this irritating person!"  "Help me not to be vindictive!"  "God, I need You and Your resources!"

And this is how we get through our days!  

It's called dependence!  :-)  We can't do this on our own!  Not even the best of us.  We MUST rely on the grace, strength and goodness of our God!  

And WOO HOO!  He stands ready to supply our need!  

Stay close to Him today!

______________________________________________

Father, Son and Holy Spirit,

Thank You for being so faithful and available!  I'm going to need Your resources repeatedly to get through this day!  Thank You for being so available to me!  No interference, no poor reception, no downed lines - You always hear, always listen, and always respond with abundance!  

I think I can make it through this day, knowing that You are available when I face opposition, cruelty, rudeness, injustice, obstacles and inconveniences.  Help me to be a difference-maker today - FOR YOUR GLORY!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment