Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

DO IT AGAIN POPPY

Having just spent a week with my grandchildren, Rylie and Coltin, I am reminded of the value of repetition. 

When they find something they enjoy, they are excited to do it over and over again!  Eventually, "Do it again, Poppy" is just too many words to speak and it gets shortened to "Again".

This happened while swinging at the playground.
It was echoed when I became their play horse.
"Again" was the theme when we rode the four-wheeler.
It also kicked in while we played 'Chase and tickle'.
I don't remember how many times I read them the same book!
It REALLY became a factor with the Where's Waldo? books...


Children are still learning.  They're untainted by boredom.  When they find something that makes them happy, they are unabashed about repeating it over and over and over.  Their enjoyment curve seems to last much longer than ours - as adults. 

Teens still have a remnant of this in them, too.  They will get in line and ride the same roller coaster all day! 

Even as a fully mature man - who just received his Golden Buckeye Card - I have occasional glimpses of this experience.  It happened the other day while playing Wii.  I was having so much fun trying to master the tennis game that I felt like I could have played it all day.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could maintain this kind of excitement and joy throughout our lives?  It might transform our work. 

When I was worship leader at Cornerstone Church in Akron, we had three identical, Sunday morning worship services.  Regularly, while leaving the platform, Judy Haydu would say to me, "Hal, do you believe it, we get to do this two more times?"  Her expression was one of absolute joy!

Let's pray about this:
God,
Renew the child in me today!  Help me to see the world in color!  Help me to hear and marvel at the birds.  Help me to see an airplane trail and thrill at the thought that people are hurling through the air over 500 miles per hour!  Help me to see the character in someone's face.  Help me to have fun today - and to make life fun for others, too!  Help me to be less shy about expressing excitement, wonder and joy today!  Maybe by doing this more openly, I can ignite the same reaction in others!  Renew the child in me today, Lord!
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I remember those days at Cornestone. GREAT Memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our six years at Cornerstone were WONDERFUL and so blessed!!!

      Delete