Search This Blog

Sunday, February 12, 2012

TRAIN UP A CHILD!

Proverbs 22:6 (NASB)
Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.

I turned 17 at the end of January, 1969.  I graduated from high school in early June.  I immediately left for Philadelphia to live with my brother and his wife for the summer.  He had arranged for me to be a helper in his father-in-law's roofing and heating business.  While there, I attended the Willow Grove Free Methodist Church with their family.

In August, I drove to Rochester, New York, for orientation at Roberts Wesleyan College, where I began classes in September.  I was assigned to live in Carpenter Hall - a large four-floor men's dorm.  The first Sunday morning, I remember wondering why I was the only one up getting ready for Sunday School. 

I loved breakfast on Sundays at RWC!  They would fix anything you wanted!  I think it was largely because so few came out for breakfast.

I attended Sunday School and worship at the Pearce Memorial Free Methodist Church - a much larger congregation than I was used to (about 1500).  I was surprised that they didn't have a class for college students. 

I was pretty quickly noticed and asked to teach a Sunday School class of fourth and fifth grade boys.  I taught that class (except summers) for two years. 

I loved worshipping with so many people!  It was exciting! 

After graduation, I was hired by Dr. V. J. Mannoia (senior pastor) to be a 'Pastoral Apprentice' for the summer!  I worked under the direct supervison of Richard Snyder (associate pastor and later, bishop).  I went home to New Brighton, Pennsylvania in early August (1973) to be married!

No comments:

Post a Comment