Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

LARRY NORMAN

When I was elected Religious Life Director at Roberts Wesleyan College, I knew I wanted to bring some great, Christian music to the campus.  It was 1971.

I used a large portion of my budget to bring the original Christian 'rocker' to the campus - the late, Larry Norman.  I remember that it cost $1500 to book him (plus airfare and accomadations).  That was an unheard of amount of money for that time!

When Larry arrived, I had him scheduled in classes and at events, with a major concert at Pearce Memorial Free Methodist Church for Friday night.  He was very pleasant to be around and cooperated with our plans 100%.

Friday, after a full day of events, I scheduled some free-time for Larry - thinking he might like to rest before the big, evening concert.  I found out later
that he hitch-hiked into Rochester (with his guitar) and sang and ministered on the streets all afternoon!

That evening, after a big introduction and enthusiastic welcome, he humbly walked out on the platform.  He put his guitar case on the floor, opened it, took out his guitar and stepped to the microphone.  He sang a song and when the applause broke out, he simply stood with his head down and his hand raised - using the famous "One-Way' sign to point to his Lord and give Him the glory.

He sang for two hours sometimes using his guitar and several times slipping to the piano!  It was one of the greatest evenings of my life!  His faith was genuine, his music passionate, and his example was effective!

He's singing in Heaven now:  "Why should the devil have all the good music?"

2 comments:

  1. Loved this story when you told it to me before!! Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i, too, saw Larry Norman in concert while at Spring Arbor College. very impactful evening for me as well. Helen Noel

    ReplyDelete