Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

PEACEMAKERS DON'T MAKE GOOD LEADERS - II

[To make complete sense, read "Peacemakers Don't Make Good Leaders" first.]

I've come to realize that a big part of my problem is centered in the fact that I haven't fully believed that God would communicate His "preferred future" to me as a leader!

God has always worked through leaders to accomplish His work.  God will likely work through leaders to direct the ministry and future of the church! 

I believe that God has lifted the veil on occasions to let me see His 'preferred future" for the church.  I have failed to act on that vision and knowledge by succumbing to authorites other than God!  [Disobedience = sin.]

There are several factors that can and do impact me in these situations:
  1. Low self-esteem makes me think that God would never reveal His "preferred future" to me.
  2. Lack of confidence prevents me from speaking up with the dominant message the church needs to hear.
  3. Fear of conflict or confrontation causes me to shy away from speaking strongly of what I believe to be God's will.
  4. Reluctance to use the power of my office (pastor) to push an agenda - even when I know that God has given me a glimpse of His "preferred future" - deprives the church of God-given leadership. 
  5. An over-valuing of the democratic process puts the will of the majority above the will of God.  In the Bible the democratic process is never used with good results.  God consistently chooses to get His work accomplished through leaders who lead!
In reality, no one prays for the church more than I do.  No one thinks about the church more than I do.  No one works as hard in the church as I do.  No one cares about the health and growth of the church more than I do. 

By loving peace and giving it such a high priority, I have robbed the church of effective leadership!  I have deprived the church of God's "preferred future"! 

That's sad!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again Pastor. The question that keeps coming to mind is “how do I know when it’s God’s voice and not my own wishes or the influence of others affecting my thought processes”? I understand there are no "easy" answers and also believe God will give the answers (and everything else) I need to live the way He wants me to live. As I think about the factors you listed, they are the same for me (and I suspect many others in leadership positions). Your blog is great! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never did this before, but here goes- Pastor Haire I think that when you dis-credit yourself- your dis-creditiing God. He formed you,gave you life, most important He Loves you.He gave you a choice to make- you made it- you followed His will-for your family you are a husband,father,grandfather- for ALL of us you are- a pastor, a teacher. Gifts from God,and you are using those gifts to HIS glory.
      Are you perfect-no. Do we want you to be perfect-no- then you wouldn't be like us, Christians that take one day at a time and do the best we can,knowing that God loves us. Believing that we can keep on smiling.

      Delete