Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2012

A GOD INTERVENTION?

My Mom had strict guidelines for observing the Sabbath Day (which she observed on Sunday).  She had been raised in the Reformed Presbyterian Church which - at that time - had very rigid thoughts about the Sabbath Day (think "Chariots of Fire").

She and my Dad refused to make purchases on Sunday.  My Dad was very excited when I got my license because he could send me to Puritan Drug Store on Saturday night to buy his Sunday Pittsburgh Press newspaper.

We rarely travelled on Sundays because they didn't want to have to buy gasoline.  We never ate out on Sunday.  Television was discouraged until after the Sunday evening worship service.  Outside play was discouraged.

One Sunday - before I was born - someone in our family became very sick (I think it may have been my sister, Beverly).  Dad called Dr. Chadwick who called a prescription in to the local drug store. 

Now my parents had a dilemma.  Dr. Chadwick had insisted that my Dad get this medication as soon as possible.  Yet their principles told them not to make a purchase on the Sabbath.

After much deliberation, prayer, and consternation, my Dad drove to the drug store and went in to purchase the prescription.  As he entered, he noticed that a man followed him to the pharmacy counter.

As Dad waited for the prescription, the man continued to stand nearby.  Finally, when it was time to pay for the prescription, the man stepped forward and intercepted the purchase.

He reported that my Dad was the 100,000th customer to the store and that his purchase was free! 

A God intervention?  You decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment