Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

A NEW WORLD FOR ME

I've been sheltered.  To some extent, all my life.

For the last forty years, I have lived in a Christian context.  People have tended to be on their best behavior around me.  They curtail their language in my presence.  They ask questions about the Bible, assuming that's my favorite thing to talk about.  Over years of being a pastor, I have increasingly become cocooned from the real world.  I've realized it.  I've even tried to combat it;  but it happened in spite of my efforts. 

This has been a big part of my motivation for going to China.  After living surrounded by Christians for most of my life, I want to flip it.  I want to live in a culture where I'll be exposed to large numbers of spiritually lost people. 

I've spent the last three Saturdays and Sundays taking a TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) Class at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.  The class has been a 'cultural shock' experience for me. 

The instructor was 42.  There was one middle-aged student.  All the rest were in their early twenties.  Two of the young women were Korean.  As we got acquainted, I could tell that at least two of the students were probably Christians.  It came out right away that I had been a pastor for many years.

Casual discussions about abortion and evolution brought out severe ridicule and mockery of Christians.  The language used throughout the class surprised me.  The crudities and vulgarities expressed throughout the discussions offended me.  A casual discussion with one young woman revealed her animosity for marriage and men-at-large.   For one of the practicum's we had to draw what was in our refrigerator;  mine was the only one without beer.

When I gave my practicum, one of the young men set me up for an embarrassing moment by suggesting the use of a word (that I was naively unfamiliar with) that created lots of snickers and guffaws - at my expense.

This was all A NEW WORLD FOR ME!!!!  As Dorothy said, "We're not in Kansas anymore!"    Not everyone is going to like me or be kind to me.  It's survival of the fittest. 

But it was ok.  I survived.  I maintained a good and open relationship with everyone.  One young man approached me for my email address so we can have contact while we're both in China.  When the young man, who caused me to stumble, fumbled in his practicum, I was able to throw out some ideas that re-routed his presentation. 

When I stayed to help the instructor put the room back in order after the last class, he told me that our casual conversations had caused him to look at his (young) children in new ways.  He was valuing his time with them differently now. 

We make a difference wherever we are.  We stay connected to God.  We stay pure. 

Romans 16:19-20  (the VOICE)
So celebrate your faithfulness to God that is being displayed in your lives - seek wisdom about the good life, and remain innocent when it comes to evil.  If you do this, the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet soon.

Debbie and I will soon be immersed in an even greater new world.  Cultural shock will be an ever-present reality for us.  We will be overwhelmed with new people, things, places, and languages.  PLEASE PRAY FOR US!

Are we afraid?

Yes, at times.  But we are so confident that as a result of our faith and your prayers - the God of peace will be with us crushing Satan under our feet!

OH YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment