Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2012

WIDEN MY CIRCLE, LORD

There seems to be a tendency in us to find friends who are similar.  We like people who share our point-of-view.  It makes us comfortable.  If their backgrounds are similar to ours, all-the-better. 

This has been true for me much of my life.  For me, the church has actually served a somewhat evil purpose;  it has created an abnormal circle of "fellowship" that is dissimilar from the culture. 

I remember reading a book in seminary titled, God's Colony.  It spoke of this proclivity to create a barrier of protection between people of faith and lost people.  What is it in us that makes us do this?

We didn't learn this from Jesus!  Rather, He infiltrated the circles that lost people had created!  :-)   He invited Himself to their homes!  He chased them down at the pools.  He included, rather than excluded.  He knew no strangers.

We are so unlike Him in this regard. 

Perhaps when I find people who agree with me, are similar to me, and share my values, it confirms that I'm right.  Am I that weak and uncertain? 

On occasions when I have reached beyond my normal circles for friendship - I have been surprised and delighted.  Getting to know someone connects us to them.  Why am I afriad of this process? 

I recently spent time with ten people who were VERY dissimilar from me.  I was more drawn to some than others.  But when our marathon of time together ended, I was able to say to the whole group:  "I'm glad I had the opportunity to spend this time with you!" 

When we lived in Akron, I became good friends with several homeless men.  I knew them and they knew me.  I spent time with them almost every Saturday morning.  I miss that!  They added value to my life!

I want to have a broader assoication of friends.  I want to have friends who are very different from me.  I don't want to live my life in a clique!  I want to be more like Jesus in this regard...

No comments:

Post a Comment