Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

THE SADDEST DAY

When I was a kid, the saddest day of the year was the day after Camp Meeting ended!

Because my Dad had to drive back to New Brighton to work, my Mom and I (and in the early years - my sister, Bev) were left at the campground all-day Monday to pack up and prepare for the trip home.  A few other families were in the same predictament. 

There were some things I had to do to help my Mom, but by-and-large, I was left to roam the grounds trying to pass the time.  I would spend time on the swings and walk around the ballfield.  I would meander through the tabernacle.  Occasionally, I would help someone with a task.

It may have been my first experience of depression.  I would feel so alone and lost.  If I'd had a romantic relationship, that made it all the worse.  I would remember all the fun I had enjoyed over the last ten days.  But now, all my friends and all the excitement was over.

The only thing that redeemed this day was that in some years the Pittsburgh Annual Conference would follow shortly after camp.  I would be here again for four or five more days - working in the kitchen again.  It wasn't camp, but it did give me a chance to be with some of my friends again.

There were also some years when the Pittsburgh Conference Youth Camp followed Camp Meeting.  That really gave me something to look forward to.  Youth Camp was totally different than Camp Meeting;  it was usually held at the Kiski Valley Free Methodist Campground in Apollo, PA.  It was a highlight of my year. 

But these tough times passed.  I felt the sadness, but endured. 

Now, Debbie and I are staying on the campground until we leave for China.  I've been concerned about today, so we planned an alternative activity to get us away.  We're heading for Kennywood Park! 

No comments:

Post a Comment