Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

WHEN'S THE LAST TIME YOU THOUGHT ABOUT HEAVEN?

The following is from Paul's second letter to Christ-followers in Corinth, 4:17-18 (NLT):

...we look forward to what we have not yet seen. For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.

It is to our detriment that we ignore (or deny) the realities of Heaven! 

It seems to me that the only time Heaven is considered in this culture is when a friend or loved one dies.  Then, we state, "They have gone to a better place."  These words ring hollow.  They mock us.  Little in our lifestyle indicates that we really believe in "a better place."

Universalism reigns.  Not only do all dogs go to heaven, but so do all people.  It really doesn't matter how you lived your life.  It doesn't matter if you claimed Christ as your Lord.  The assumed reality is:  when you die, you go to heaven.

Scripture encourages believers to think about Heaven as a reality that impacts our daily lives.  The way I live my life impacts my eternal destiny!

Most of us, admittedly,  live in a way that at least looks like it's all about this world.  We get caught up in accumulating things and enjoying pleasures.

On rare occasions (perhaps now is one of them), when we actually think about what God's Word says about us and Heaven, we wonder if maybe we're mis-spending our lives.   
· Perhaps I should be more generous?
· Maybe I should care more about the desperate conditions of the global poor?
· Should I give myself to some cause that goes beyond myself?
· Am I fulfilling the purposes of God?
· What would it look like if I was to deny myself, take up my cross daily, and follow Christ?
· If "true religion" is caring for widows and orphans, how am I helping with that?
I remember hearing a story many years ago.
Two men arrived in Heaven at the same time.  Saint Peter led one to a large, well-built, handsome home and handed him the keys.

Then he walked the other man to a small shack.

The man, obviously shocked and disappointed, asked Saint Peter why his heavenly home was so small and poorly built.

Peter replied:  "We did the best we could with the materials you sent ahead!"


Lord,
Help me to be more conscious of the realities of Heaven in my day-to-day living.  Help me to curb my appetite for self-satisfaction and creature-comforts.  Teach me to care and to share! 

Enable me to see the wisdom of sending lots of building materials ahead.  By Your Spirit, remind me frequently that it's not about this world - it's all about the next!
Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment