Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2012

TIPPING

I've had the luxury of traveling and eating out a lot over the last month - way more than usual.  Because of this, I've been faced with repeated situations that involved leaving a tip.

When I eat in a restaurant, I'm a 20% tipper;  except for breakfast or when Deb and I share a meal - then I try to tip more.  Why?  Because my wife was a server in a restaurant and I know how hard they work and how little they're paid.  I've seen her come home and dump crumpled bills out onto the couch and then sit - dead tired - and count it.  When it added up to a reasonable amount, I could see the pride and joy return!

What about tipping the housekkeeper at a hotel?  We've left anywhere from $2-5.  We try to do so daily to make sure the right person gets the tip!

How about the person who manages the free breakfast area in hotels?  Hmmm.  I haven't found guidelines for this, but I'm now leaving a couple of dollars on the table - even though I don't see others doing so.

Many years ago, I was a bellman in a hotel in Lexington, Kentucky.  In addition to assisting with luggage, I also drove people in the hotel van.  Another part of my role was delivering room service orders to the patrons.  I expected tips.  I looked forward to them.  A good tip could make my day! 

I remember a day when I drove a group of people to the Keeneland Race Track.  I answered questions and conversed with them the whole way.  As they disembarked, I received $30 in tips!  I was ecstatic!  Thirty dollars in 1973 - to a seminary student - was like receiving $150 today!!!  My wheels hardly touched the road on my way home that day!!!!  I couldn't wait to show Debbie!

If I can make someone's day by leaving a few dollars, I'm going to do so!  As long as I have it, I'm going to try to be generous with it!

Last night, Debbie, Janie, Ken, Dolores and I ate at a Perkins near our hotel.  To be honest, we were served poorly.  We repeatedly asked for more napkins.  My drink was never refilled.  She served us the wrong meals.  She spilled dressing on Janie.  When she wasn't around, we were critical of her.

At the end of the evening, Ken struck up a conversation with her and told her a story about one of his daughters-in-law who served poorly - but got a big tip anyway.  She warmed to us and told us that she's only been on-the-job a few weeks.  She was sweet and admitted her need for improvement. 

My father-in-law was in charge of the tip.  I noticed that he rewarded her generously.  I was proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment